thrift shop Plastic Fantastic, & the history of a surfboard comes to life!

Definitely going to work on " TSJ" write up when all the info and stories gathered. Mark my word I will do it justice. As I’ve got quite a few write ups on the burner, and hope to share them with the world via TSJ. As far as I’m concerned, the only worthy venue for anything with soul. Although, it’s starting to get " ad heavy " too. Jmclay thanks for the condolences, we miss her… 2 off subject pics to share- here she’s planning some mischief while I was photographing an old Aipa I picked up. She didn’t like me giving anything, or anybody more attention than her! 

She was really something else! She decided, that she needed to be in the picture too…

At one point in time, late sixties-early seventies, Plastic Fantastics were, to me were the state of the art. The first ones were S-decked narrow spears, then the breakthrough beak nosed down railers . I could only drool looking at them sitting on the rack at Surfline Hawaii, too young to afford the perfectly tinted, pinlined diamond tails and round pins. Probably one of the most iconic logos for those who were around during that period. Their image went through the roof when Hakman and Jock Sutherland were seen ripping on them on the north shore and Maui. Super nice gesture returning the board to the Calohan family.

I’m really stoked about the whole thing too. Not to many chances in life, where there is a million to one odds moment, and you are the one standing there holding the winning ticket. This is like the lottery for me. Except, the payoff is in pure stoke! I found the pic from the thrift store I’ve been meaning to post… 

What a great story. The first time I ever saw a machine polished board was a Plastic Fantastic. It was like a mirror and I (as a pro glosser and shaper) flipped out. I was living in Florida and started calling all over California to find out how it was done. Within six months polishing was done by everyone. If my memory serves me right me right the boards were being sold by the late Sandy Forsythe when he opened the first Aqua East shop in Atlantic Beach Fla.

I too was there when that board was made and did all the finishing work on it. My cousin has one of his original boards and I have one of his later boards, a Classic Fantastic that was built for Steve Pezman and was on display in the offices of the Surfer’s Journal. Steve was kind enough to give it to me after Danny passed away. Danny was my brother.

I have Plastic Fantastic in good shape #3324 I was researching for information on this board and came up with this site I was hoping to find out what its worth. any information would be greatly appreciated. Roy

It would be best to start a new thread with some Photos.

Thanks for the great story and pics. I remember Mike Williams throwing around a little history and names regarding Plastic Fantastic. Might be worth a search of the Archives to see what information his posts might contain to further your story. Tom Parish, Charlie Smith and Ted Wilson (Fiberglass Hawaii) have a good knowledge of the North Shore during that period. Lowel