to the shaping machine users...

miki, i’d be interested in hearing more about your Gen2 process. specifically how the cutter head actually wraps around the rail and how your fixturing your blanks. are you using a 3 axis machine?

kirk

That has to be a 4 axis machine… Well, unless the cutter was setup in a really weird, unconventional way… if it was spinning around a horizontal axle instead of a vertical one you could pull it off. Very interesting. -Carl

Quote:

That has to be a 4 axis machine… Well, unless the cutter was setup in a really weird, unconventional way… if it was spinning around a horizontal axle instead of a vertical one you could pull it off. Very interesting. -Carl

I think you nailed it, the cutter is propably not set up conventionally. Interesting for sure

regards,

Håvard

You can see the cutter on the video linked from the APS3000 site. I had been wracking my brains for ages wondering how they managed to get the rails so smooth, and thought it might have been like you say, then saw the JS vid on the Mundaka comp website. Very clever stuff.

you’re right – very clever. i didn’t realize the APS machine used a blade-like disc as a cutter head to easily shape out the entire rail profile.

kirk