Today, tomorrow and the past

Late at night, I sometimes allow myself ponder the implications of what it would be like to travel back in time to experience (perhaps without adversely upsetting the order of destiny… hey, its MY fantasy!) the absolute finest, unridden waves in the world, carrying all necessary current equipment and accumulated knowledge. An old science fiction story once theorized about the supposedly inevitable passing of human life, and how instead of dying, those aging citizens from the distant future might simply have the choice to extend their existence, indefinitely and literally, by repeatedly traveling BACK (with all memories, intelligence and skills intact) to another favored time and place... In regards to todays surfers, of whom more than a few live solely for the hunt, how many, having successfully made that journey backward in search of a warm, land of innocence and virgin, flawless waves, would ever desire to return? Dale

Late at night, I sometimes allow myself ponder the implications of what it > would be like to travel back in time to experience (perhaps without > adversely upsetting the order of destiny… hey, its MY fantasy!) the > absolute finest, unridden waves in the world, carrying all necessary > current equipment and accumulated knowledge.>>> An old science fiction story once theorized about the supposedly > inevitable passing of human life, and how instead of dying, those aging > citizens from the distant future might simply have the choice to extend > their existence, indefinitely and literally, by repeatedly traveling BACK > (with all memories, intelligence and skills intact) to another favored > time and place...>>> In regards to todays surfers, of whom more than a few live solely for the > hunt, how many, having successfully made that journey backward in search > of a warm, land of innocence and virgin, flawless waves, would ever desire > to return?>>> Dale I wonder. My first inclination was to say NONE. But, then that whole “grass greener” thing jumped into my mind. Were the waves better? My guess is no. The weather has gotten warmer and warmer which has in turn probably generated better and better waves. Was the water cleaner? Probably, but although their may not have been as many people their were more animals and animals shit too, so I am sure waste was still getting into the oceans one way or another. Less crowded? Most definitely fewer surfers in the water. But about 10 minutes after people saw you ripping it they would be swimming out, paddling their canoes out, cutting trees down…and if you think surfers are annoying add boaters, bodysurfers, paipo riders…I babble. I guess I am just thinking how it “might” be nice, but it aint so bad right now is it?

Dale…have another hit, the bong’s still lit!

Dale: This same thought has crossed my mind more than once I’ll admit. I’m not sure whether I was awake at the time I had those same thoughts or not. It seems that the deeper I went into the “dream” the more baggage I accumulated to make sure I would be able to appreciate the trip. It appears our own ideal conditions are hinged on a huge accumulation of toys, tools and general B.S. Imagine taking your finely tuned favorite surfcraft into such a place and get there only to find you forgot to pack an allen wrench for your FCS plugs, or the ding repair kit you packed had a leaky vial of MEK. If I were to do it this morning I believe I’d walk in cold with a good knife, leave the board behind and deal with it when I got there using whatever was available at that point in time. Tom>>> Late at night, I sometimes allow myself ponder the implications of what it > would be like to travel back in time to experience (perhaps without > adversely upsetting the order of destiny… hey, its MY fantasy!) the > absolute finest, unridden waves in the world, carrying all necessary > current equipment and accumulated knowledge.>>> An old science fiction story once theorized about the supposedly > inevitable passing of human life, and how instead of dying, those aging > citizens from the distant future might simply have the choice to extend > their existence, indefinitely and literally, by repeatedly traveling BACK > (with all memories, intelligence and skills intact) to another favored > time and place...>>> In regards to todays surfers, of whom more than a few live solely for the > hunt, how many, having successfully made that journey backward in search > of a warm, land of innocence and virgin, flawless waves, would ever desire > to return?>>> Dale

Late at night, I sometimes allow myself ponder the implications of what it > would be like to travel back in time to experience (perhaps without > adversely upsetting the order of destiny… hey, its MY fantasy!) the > absolute finest, unridden waves in the world, carrying all necessary > current equipment and accumulated knowledge.>>> In regards to todays surfers, of whom more than a few live solely for the > hunt, how many, having successfully made that journey backward in search > of a warm, land of innocence and virgin, flawless waves, would ever desire > to return?>>> Dale Necessary current equipment? Let’s not go there … :wink: Current equipment? Current in the trend sense might see you stuck with something not all that hot. Taking a magic board, an old favorite…that has some appeal. As for “today’s surfers”, especially the pro-types, they seem to travel with accumulated equipment and current knowledge. Too many come across as getting bored on what would be trips of a lifetime for the rest of us right now. My guess is that ALL of them would return to Now, and probably for all the Wrong Reasons. An adult, fully integrated into life, would want to return to be with friends and family, and community. Cut yourself off from that, or get cut off from that, and you tend to get odd…everyone is a stranger and a potential enemy. Distrust turns to hate which turns to fear, or maybe vice/versa, and you would always be on the defensive. Or perhaps the offensive. Look at SURFER’S JOURNAL and LONGBOARDING Magazine profiles and see what being disconnected has done to a lot of prominent surfers. It’s a litany of horror. Total commitment to some things can destroy the benefits that drew you to that thing in the first place. I’d definitely make the visit back in time, but only if it was round trip. Nels

Late at night, I sometimes allow myself ponder the implications of what it > would be like to travel back in time to experience (perhaps without > adversely upsetting the order of destiny… hey, its MY fantasy!) the > absolute finest, unridden waves in the world, carrying all necessary > current equipment and accumulated knowledge.>>> An old science fiction story once theorized about the supposedly > inevitable passing of human life, and how instead of dying, those aging > citizens from the distant future might simply have the choice to extend > their existence, indefinitely and literally, by repeatedly traveling BACK > (with all memories, intelligence and skills intact) to another favored > time and place...>>> In regards to todays surfers, of whom more than a few live solely for the > hunt, how many, having successfully made that journey backward in search > of a warm, land of innocence and virgin, flawless waves, would ever desire > to return?>>> Dale Dale: I think about it often.Would love to be surfing the local breaks during the time of the Chumash, but since that isn’t possible the closest thimg I can get to it is the central desert of Baja. Matt

Dale…have another hit, the bong’s still lit! Alrrright!! Heeyy, dude… you have just SO messed up my NEXT topic about why we should ALL be Using like HEMp FIBER and nontoxic suncure vegetable EpoxY to make some bitchin orGanic boards that are way recyclable and like just, you know… try and be more "friendly to The Earth? and besides That Im from Oregon {some say it shows} and its our states only cash crop left up here an people have to make a living somehow!? Why cant we all like just agree to get along?/

aLL Of yOu tHaT dOn’T tHiNk pOt sHoUlD bE lEgAliZeD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WELL YOU’RE ALL F*#KED!!!