Traveling with glassed on tri-fin

Hola!

I’m travelling to southern Portugal in two weeks time with my 7’2 trifin nugget with glassed on fins. I have read the older threads regarding tips on travelling with glassed on singlefins:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=156569;search_string=fin%20protection;#156569

This thread was very helpful but I would still appreciate anymore info, I know the best thing probably would be to have fin boxes installed in the future.

I also found another useful link on the surfermag travel forum:

http://atlantasurfer.home.mindspring.com/Surfboard_Pack_Job.doc

The 10mm boardbag I am travelling with is 7’6 so there is plenty of room for pipe insulationfoam(rails), bubble wrap etc.

I was thinking of maybe shaping a similar foam block to the ones suggested in the previous swaylocks thread but with three slits, anyone tried this before? Any other tips on extra protection for fins, nose and tail would also be appreciated.

Thanxs. Sami

Instead of using surfboard foam, which crush’s and cracks under load when not glassed, try instead to hit a kayak shop, or REI type camping store and look for thick, closed cell EVA, the stuff you stomp pad is made of.

Get it 1/4" tall than your fins, cut slits in, and push onto your fin cluster.

Obviously, get it the size of the tail of your board, to spread out the load.

If you lose it, or it gets stolen, use cardboard, but ya gotta keep that dry.

i dont know much, but i do know that you can buy actual surfboard cases for traveling. it has a hard plastic shell and a foamy interior, kinda like a guitar case for a surfboard. i think its kinda costly, but your board will be perfectly safe. i saw the article for the cases in a surf mag. let me know if your interested and ill find the article and give you the info.

Same problem exists with the hard shell cases.

I travelled around some with one, and the fins can crush, because the center of the case flexes inwards as much as 5", easily enough to crush fins.

And you can’t leave the board strapped to one side of the case, with extra room in the other, as that’s how you break the cases…gotta fill them up.

cardboard and packing tape. Make it thick enough, say an inch and a half - oh, for you that’s about 4-5cm - so the carboard, with corragations running vertically, makes its own “foot” on the board, then “tie” all three together, and wrap over rail and around deck. When you get there all you have to do is cut a strip of tape, and when your done - just tape it back up. You should be able to tell when you get it right - virgin paper/board is strongest. Good luck, Taylor.

floral foam. Get a few blocks jam them over your fins get some extra to fill in the space between the fins and then wrap in sturdy cardboard.

http://www.smithersoasis.com/us/floral/products/showproduct.php?indexby=subcat&market=&cat=Floral+Foams&subcat=2&prodid=&div=F&full=0

Great!

I must say these were some pretty inventive and ingenious responses, everything from “closed cell EVA” to floral foam. Not quite familiar with the closed cell EVA material,(don’t use traction pads) don’t no what that material is called in our native Scandinavian tongue, Håvard have you heard of this material before?

Floral foam should be no problem to get hold of though, time to get to work. Thank you all for your help!

Similar to the EVA foam idea, but get one of those 1/2" thick light blue foam sleeping pads. You know, the closed cell ones that you use when camping. They can be had for a dollar or two at garage sales quite often. Usually about 5’ by 2’ in size. Anyways, cut it up into 1’ lengths, take a piece of XPS the same size, and rubber cement it all together. You should end up with a 2’ wide by 1’ long thick chunk of foam. Cut your grooves, slide it on, trace the board’s tail shape, and trim off the extra. The sleeping pad foam prevents the XPS from most harsh compression damage, and the XPS in the center gives enough rigidity that the whole pad shouldn’t get pressed in far enough to damage your fins.

Just got back from a week and half in southern Portugal. Scored perfect glassy offshore conditions 4 days and some of the best rides of my short life!

Packed tail of the board with a huge high-density foam block with slits cut in for the fins and shaped to fit and protect of my nugget. I shaped a big nose guard of foam, combined with pipe insulation foam along the rails and duck-taped it all up with bubble wrap and some cut up camping mats for extra protection. Thank my lucky stars not a single scratch or ding!

Thank you everyone who helped!