Tyler's "Riddler"

I’ve been curious about this board ever since I saw Tyler riding it in “Singlefin: Yellow”. Here’s the description from his website…

The Riddler has a square nose 7 1/2" flat. The tail is also square 6" flat.The board also has a soft stinger wing, 6 foot bottom concave and 3 foot step tail. It’s glassed with 6x10oz volan deck and 6x10oz volan bottom. The question mark resin design is standard on the deck. The Riddler was designed to blow minds at the Oceanside Noseriding Contest and did, with crazy looks and mind-bending nose rides.People who ride this model rave about its turning ability. This is a unique original board, which is highly specialized and very time consuming to build.

I’m most curious about the rocker profile…anyone??

And what exactly is a “stinger wing”?..the bump toward the tail?..i always just called it a bump.

How radical is the step in the tail? How does it react to hard bottom turns and cutbacks as well as noseriding?

…Basically, this board has a whole lot of less conventional design features…any help in creating a picture of how it all comes together would be most appreciated.

[indent]tel: 310.322.6861

fax: 310.322.6825

e-mail:

tylersurf@earthlink.net

There are probably not many here that could tell you what you want to know but talking to Tyler is interesting and informative[/indent]

A friend of mine has one. He’s had quite a few Tylers. He’s a surf club president, does well in the club contests, etc. Recommends Tylers to others.

He explained Tyler’s board design philosophy to me like this:

Tyler wants to explore where longboards would be if the shortboard/multi-fin revolutions never happened. Not at all to make old-school, retro boards, but to figure out where natural, single-fin, 9’+ design would be now, 35 years later, if no influences from other equipment had ever crept in. Only progression within the form.

I think the Riddler is 2 things, both in line with the above philosophy. First, its a noseride-specific board to the extreme. And second, its the most irregular board in his lineup, which, according to the idea of single fin log evolution, is the most modern (at least for purpose 1 - noseriding).

Makes sense to me. I also like the whole idea of non-convergent evolution.

Tyler is a great guy and incredible surfer. I couldn’t imagine him producing a non-functional board. A couple of weeks ago I had the incredible fortune to have lunch with Tyler and Ian Chisholm of Southcoast Boards in OZ. An amazing conversation took place as each compared their designs and production. What was really amazing was that I didn’t learn much. Almost everything the talked about is in Swaylocks. If you want to know how they build such incredible boards, here is the answer:

QUALITY

They manage the quality at ever step in the process very precisely.

One thing they did say was that its very difficult for the solo builder to be expert in all the jobs and to to them all precisely.

looks like Jacobs 422 with a chopped off nose.

Drew

You are right there is a whole lot going on in the bottom of that board.I also have been interested in one but have not been able to put together the capital. It is a beauty and an ugly duckling rolled into one. The soft stinger/wing looks like the old Hap Jacobs model 422 and the nose has some Hynson influnce. As far as the rocker goes it sure looks like it works. Did I here once that Tyler once worked for Hap ,both men produce works of art.

The Riddler: its a loarsome brute yet I cant look away.

check the contours on the bottom…

Yes, Tyler did learn his shaping from Hap, as did Lance Carson, Robert Aug. and a few more that I’m not remembering right now.

Quote:

Tyler wants to explore where longboards would be if the shortboard/multi-fin revolutions never happened. Not at all to make old-school, retro boards, but to figure out where natural, single-fin, 9’+ design would be now, 35 years later, if no influences from other equipment had ever crept in. Only progression within the form.

Yeah, Tyler explained it to “me” like that to! Exactly in fact! Actually, he explained to everyone just like that in SingleFin Yellow… :wink:

Quote:

check the contours on the bottom…

whoa…now i’m REALLY confused.

As discussed prior, the outline is similar to a 422 (Velzy or Hap) and then it seems to add the G&S Stretch to the nose. But I think that’s where it ends. And then, then there’s the “?” - there were a few boards back in the early 90’s that I remember Hynson did that had a big question mark on them and a picture of Hendrix that said “Are you experienced.”

I want the works

I want the whole works

Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises

Of all shapes and sizes

And now

Don’t care how

And for no reason but just to add Dale’s had a step deck tail, a long blended concave about 36 inches and the rails on the hip were beveled. Hap’s recent 422’s are softer, less art deco than Dale’s.

I just wanted to say that if anything the Riddler looks like the old ferndocker. I enjoy my Riddler and it works. I don’t know what else you can possibly want from a surfboard. Oh yeah… it looks pretty damn sick.

I agree with PipDaddy. I am thoroughly enjoying mine. It's a new type of board for me, but I am having a blast with it!

I just posted some thoughts on it at  the "Tyler riddler revisited" post here on Swaylock's.

See you in the water,
Greg

There's nothing there that hasn't been done before... the whole is no longer linear. It's just recycled ideas in rotation.

Some might say the Riddler is just a pug ugly one trick pony.

Tyler's quality is unmatched though... and he likes old Mercurys so he's got to be a good guy.

Now if he had a '49 instead of the '50 I might even be jealous !

If anyone is bugging to get one of these or try it out, I would be down to swap for a Tyler NR. It’s got to be 10’0+ though.