Using Fabric on Boards

What kind of fabric (aloha print), where can I buy it, and at what stage do you put it on? How is is done? Any problems? Looks great, want to try.

Howzit 220grit, Don't know where you live but Wal-Marts in Hawaii carry a lot of aloha cloth for an inexpensive price. Singer also carries it, but it might be a local type thing where a fabric store in Texas might carriy cowboy prints. Aloha,Kokua

I got some nice fabric from JoAnn’s.

Quote:
...a fabric store in Texas might carriy cowboy prints. Aloha,Kokua

lmao That really hurts.

I just reread you post and I noticed you asked how it is done. It goes between the foam and the glass (glass the bottom, cut lap, put the inlay, glass deck). You need to be sure to put a coat of resin under and over the cloth since it will not soak through the fabric easily. You trim the fabric with a bent razor blade when it is 100% cured (don’t worry, it cuts easily).

Howzit ozzy,Not meant as an insult or anything. I just know that the Wal-Mart in Lake Havasu has no aloha prints but plenty of southwest prints, it's a geographic thing. Aloha,Kokua
Quote:

I just reread you post and I noticed you asked how it is done. It goes between the foam and the glass (glass the bottom, cut lap, put the inlay, glass deck). You need to be sure to put a coat of resin under and over the cloth since it will not soak through the fabric easily. You trim the fabric with a bent razor blade when it is 100% cured (don’t worry, it cuts easily).

So you use the cloth before ANY glassing? Mask the rails, middle all the way around. Roll on some lam resin evenly over the deck and then lay down the cloth? Then another coat of lam rolled on the top of the cloth? Dry completely then cut the rail laps? Then repeat the whole process on the bottom? Then glass as usual? Won’t this process add considerable weight to the board? How about using with epoxy?

Thanks!

Quote:
Howzit ozzy,Not meant as an insult or anything. I just know that the Wal-Mart in Lake Havasu has no aloha prints but plenty of southwest prints, it's a geographic thing. Aloha,Kokua

I knew what you meant and I know you wasn’t insulting texas. It was just the texas - cowboy style thing I thought was funny. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a cowboy print. Plaid maybe?

Aloha

I’ve only done it with epoxy but it was really pretty simple:

1. Do the bottom of the board

2. Cut the laps

3. Put on the fabric

4. Trim the fabric

5. Glass the deck

Oh yeh, you really sould put pinstripes around the fabric when your finished. I didn’t do it last time, but I wish I had.

Howzit 220,I put the cloth on before any lamination also, but it doesn’t add any more weight than if you put it on afterwards. I just find it easier when it comes to cutting the cloth, plus when you do the bottom lam you can glass over the edges of the fabric when you wrap the rails. One reason there isn’t much added weight is you squeegee the excess resin off the board. I once bought a cheap kid’s size aloha shirt from Wal-Mart and saturated it with UV resin and kicked it off and one of these days I’m going to frame it and hang it on the wall, it’s pretty cool and I hear there is a guy in Lahina would does them and sells them as art for about $200. Better profit margin than building boards. Aloha,Kokua

Quote:

Howzit 220,I put the cloth on before any lamination also, but it doesn’t add any more weight than if you put it on afterwards. I just find it easier when it comes to cutting the cloth, plus when you do the bottom lam you can glass over the edges of the fabric when you wrap the rails. One reason there isn’t much added weight is you squeegee the excess resin off the board. I once bought a cheap kid’s size aloha shirt from Wal-Mart and saturated it with UV resin and kicked it off and one of these days I’m going to frame it and hang it on the wall, it’s pretty cool and I hear there is a guy in Lahina would does them and sells them as art for about $200. Better profit margin than building boards. Aloha,Kokua

What do they look like? Like on a hangar minus the hangar? Fluffed out a little? Getting back to boards…so if I want to do a “Waikiki Classic” with fabric all over on each side, start with the bottom, tape the rails, fabric on resined foam, then resin over fabric, squeegee out, dry, cut laps in the middle of the rail. Turn over, repeat? Then lam the glass, proceed like normal?

Hola,

I’m putting “a bit” of cloth in my longboard these days.

Click here if you want to seee it.

I decide to glass it between the 2 glass layers, trying to build a kind of “sandwich”, but I’m sure is a lot easier to glass cloth first on the foam and then do a regular glassjob over it. Just be sure to glass the cloth dry, squeeging the excess of resin.

220grit, maybe you’re looking for trouble trying to do the rails: fabric usually doesn’t bend around curves as easily as saturated glass. Although I did it once, I can tell you it was not easy. What you usually do is the deck, stopping at one inch or so from the rail (where the board is rather flat). Here are some that I made:

Hola,

No problems using cloth around rails for me. Even easier than fibreglass.

But try this:

Lay cloth or fibreglass on board and cut as you usually do. Then roll it and keep it near.

Turn board with opposite side you/re going to glass up.

Mix POLYresin+MEKP or EPOXY+hardener

Use a brush and paint lap areas. Be quick.

Turn board carefully. Lay cloth/glass again in place and proceed with normal glassing.

Try to wet the laps as usual, but if they aren’t wet enough and gel is catching you, fold them anyway. They’ll stick anyway and even could get wet when folded over the resin painted lap areas.

It always works for me. Just use a bit less MEKP than usual, since you need maybe 4-5 minutes more than usual.

Quote:

220grit, maybe you’re looking for trouble trying to do the rails: fabric usually doesn’t bend around curves as easily as saturated glass. Although I did it once, I can tell you it was not easy. What you usually do is the deck, stopping at one inch or so from the rail (where the board is rather flat). Here are some that I made:

there’s tons of boards in Hawaii that are fabric all-over. I too, wondered about laying the fabric down evenly, especially on the rails but judging by the looks of all the boards I’ve seen, it can’t be too hard. Thanks!

Cloth is pretty easy way to make a board look fancy, for sure. From what I’ve done and others have said, cottons seem to work best. Do wash it before you use it, as cloth will shrink, and in some cases, colors will bleed too. I’ve had an unwashed cotton print bleed into the resin before, and it sucks. Some guys ‘set’ the colors by using a water/vinegar mix. I forget the ration, but it’s archived. I’ve done it before, and it didn’t seem to make a stellar difference. I’d iron it as well before laying it down, as the creases sometimes like to try to pop back up if it has benn folded a while.

Howzit Red, The trick is to add vinegar to the rinse cycle when washing the material and it’s the styrene in the resin that causes the bleedage. I use styrene to thin the resin and almost always get some bleeding but not enough to make a difference.Aloha,Kokua

PM me with an address I got some extra cloth (3 yards) I won’t be using…

Yellow or Red that’s the choices

might not be your style but beggars can’t be choosy I guess the saying goes…

Just post the results and Paypal Mike $5.00 or something

So is laying the fabric down a little like glass? I’d think if you tauck the rails like glass, you’ll get a bunch-up around the nose and tail? Of course, no relief cuts allowed? How about nose tip??? I’d think I will practice with wet (water) fabric on a already finished board and walk myself thru the process. If everything checks out, I’ll go for it for real. Heck if it doesn’t work, I can always peel it off while still wet with resisn and throw down the glass.

Thanks Kokua. I must have missed that about adding it to the rinse cycle, because I just handwashed it in a vinegar/water mix. I’ll try that next time.