UV Cure Epoxy.

I don’t know anything about it yet, but this could change everything about epoxy glassing.

.http://www.masterbond.com/tds/uv24tklo

UV24TKLO Product Description

One Component, Moderate Viscosity, UV-Curable System for Bonding, Sealing and Encapsulation Featuring Superior Chemical Resistance. Meets NASA Low Outgassing Requirements.

Master Bond UV24TKLO is a one part UV curable epoxy modified
formulation for bonding, sealing and encapsulation. It passes the
rigorous requirements for low outgassing as per ASTM E-595. Most
noteworthy, it has outstanding resistance to chemicals, as described in
part below.

UV24TKLO has excellent clarity and optical transmission properties.
The best wavelengths for curing are 320-365 nm and the energy
requirement is 10-40 milliwatts per cm2. This epoxy system is not oxygen inhibited.

UV24TKLO has superb physical strength and electrical insulation
properties. The service temperature range is -60°F to 300°F. The
UV24TKLO can be cured in thicker sections, up to 1/16 of an inch and can
be easily “layered” to higher levels. The low outgassing properties
enable this UV to be used in a wide array of optical, electro-optical
and vacuum applications that until now have not been possible for UV
curable systems. It should be noted that to optimize the outgassing
properties, the UV24TKLO should be preheated to approximately 50°C for
15 minutes prior to use and then allowed to cool down to room
temperature.

Product Advantages

• One component: no mixing required.
  • Exceptionally fast curing with UV light source; not oxygen inhibited.
  • High dimensional stability; excellent clarity and light transmission.
  • Outstanding physical strength and electrical insulation.
  • Meets NASA low outgassing test, ASTM E-595, specifications.
  • Superior chemical resistance profile.

And there is more…

http://www.masterbond.com/products/uv-curable-scratch-resistant-coatings

Epoxy Gloss Coat?

Master Bond supplies a line of UV curable coatings that offer
superior scratch resistance. These hardcoats are designed to protect
optically clear plastic substrates. They feature high resistance to
common chemicals, staining and long-term durability.

Using UV Curable Scratch Resistant Coatings with Plastics

These compounds exhibit fast cures and superior adhesion to:

• Polycarbonates
  • Polymethylmethacrylates
  • Polyvinylchlorides
  • Other plastic substrates
UV11-3
Extra hard, abrasion resistant UV curable coating for plastic substrates. One part, no mix system. Superb optical clarity. High resistance to staining and many common chemicals.

Interesting.

I’ve always been told that UV cure epoxy is impossible to make, because it is a polyaddition reaction (chemically).

Will you test this stuff?

Hi Hans,

It was a dead end.  Great stuff but I got ahold of a sales rep and it costs $750 for half a pint.

the guys at surf supply have been working on this stuff for a while and they are going to come out with there own resin really soon

i can not wait to get my hands on this stuff and test some out

They have been talking about it for a while now.  Every week Ryan has said the same thing; “next week.”  Hopefully soon its a reality.  It would be helpful for those in a hurry.

I just started using their regular epoxy and it seems to me that stuff already sets up faster than most other epoxies.  I dunno for sure if that’s the case but it seems like it.  

I just tried the uv “epoxy” from the company that makes solarez. I think It’s vinyl ester actually. I used it with microballoons to fill a small nose ding. Took off my respirator to smell it. Smells like polyester. Tested it on eps, too. Didn’t eat it. Cost me $20 for a quart from their booth at the last sacred craft show. Haven’t tried glassing with it. Will try it making fins first.

I looked at the Solarez website, and it says good for a priming coat, but what about laminating with it?

Just looked, too. They say vinyl ester has some styrene. They suggest using zerovoc as a cheater coat, then vinyl ester bc it’s cheaper and stronger. $69/gal is not bad. Obviously, not going to work under veneers, cork, etc. Although it would be nice in a vac bag and have all the time to get wrinkles out.

Hans is right…so far. We formulate our own epoxy resins and UV catalyst and we’ve been working on that for a while. We have come up with some successful formulas but it’s not 100% so we can’t release introduce the final product. The vinyl ester resins are great but they aren’t as ideal for surfboard construction, they are solvent based and they cost more than a standard 249 resin.

Do you know what type of resin the zerovoc is? 

Saw the UV epoxy today at Surf Supply.  It looks as if it could be ready for some testing soon.  Super-human, and all around great guy, Scott Chandler had an interesting thing to add that I hadn’t considered: “What will happen when the temp goes up on a lam and how much will it gas.”  I thought that was a good insight, and don’t know anything at all about the chemistry; I am just reporting what I saw, and what Ryan claimed was uv epoxy; Ryan has never given me any reason to doubt him and he is doing an excellent job with his company.  I had to go there yesterday too and had the pleasure and honor of spending an hour talking to Carl Ekstrom, that guy is  a super-hero, and I am looking forward to going to lunch with him soon.  I have been accused of dropping names by some around this place, but its just another day.

I bought a blank from Surf Supply last week. The guy who cut me off on the Freeway in the brown truck was there....I wonder if he knows I was the guy he cut off? ....I parked right next to him.............

Wasn't Carl....it was someone in a real hurry looking at fins....life is funny.....If the UV works out let me know....until then I have a really awesome resin supplier.