Vinny Bryan.... Spreckles 77

and dat’s dat…

The dirty little secret is that you are ALWAYS flying/riding your fin.     It’s just a matter of degree.     Thicker is mo’ bettah!

I saw that board at Bill Barnfield’s shop several years ago.

There was a guy in my home town in the 60’s named Vinny Bryan. I’m pretty sure it was the same guy. We had some interesting characters, and some very good surfers come out of our little stretch of beach.

Interesting to connect back to what Greg Griffin was doing for us in 2005. He made us flat bottom boards with a hard edge from nose to tail and custom foiled fins for each board. Even with 5 fins, those boards were the fastest we’d ridden at the time.

What Vinny was doing had a huge influence on my brother.

bless their hearts,they sould out to Bic,real estate pimping

and did hard time…

…ambrose…

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

good one Mr. Brose

sums up where it all went in a single sentence

RIP Vinny Bryan and Mike Croteau

well before their time

I am glad gunkie brought this topic up and appreciate Oneula and Sharks perspective.  Primarily because they know more about Vinny and his designs than most on Sways.  I have seen boards in the OC with the hard edge from nose to tail.  I have been questioned by a few novice types as to what makes a “High Performance” short board.  My answer is always the same;  If you can’t see that bottom rail line (ie tucked edge) on the rear 2/3 or 3/4 of the board, it is not a High Performance Shortboard.  Surprised to know that Vinny Bryan had a Central Coast Surf Shop before Hall and Cheney ever decided to attended CalPoly.  What year would that have been?

I seem to remember that toilet seat rails and flat bottoms got a lot of abuse/mockery about how unsophisticated they were