Vintage Performer

I tend to agree,selling an East Coast built board around then was a literal hard sell. Few if any were really up to the quality , shapes were generally copies. It  took quite a while for shapers from here to get much respect, for instance Jim Phillips. It was certainly easier to just carry West Coast boards as the main line, maybe an East Coast make to encourage them, but not real deep.

Why Performers? Well, they were built for not-very-good waves, not very big, mushy. Summer surf. And the water here isn’t all that warm by any means, even in summer, fall and spring and winter, when it does get good, well, the wetsuits of the day were just not up to it. You bought a board for what you surfed. 

If I remember right, the Performer, and the G&S Hot Curls and Farrelly’s and  the Con Uglys were all popular and all pretty similar. Wide nosed, not really performance  longboards by today’s standards. Even the later Slugs as built for that annoying little rodent, they were all about  stupid pet tricks in contests in small mush. . . 

Can’t say I miss it much

doc…

This reminds me of the Performer I  had. I purchased from the original owner and the bottom tint looked very odd and not uniform. You can see on the corner of the tail were the color was chipped off. 

Damn nice Performer. Another of the later run with a Waveset box and two color font lam. Did you sell it for decent money? What size is it?

Really not trying to sell it, just determine authenticity. All sign lead to 100% original despite some unusual color tells 9’4". I would however entertain offers

Thanks! I texted Weber and they said it was not at all uncommon to find tinted"hot coats". It also looks as if color was added over the stringer because you can see where it appears the tape off Was not perfect

Nice bunch of Performers posted in threads here at Sways of late.  Always knew that Dewey sold a ton of boards East and West, but have been surprised the last few years at how many Hansen’s there were from coast to coast.   It would be a good guess to say that Hobie, Hansen and Weber were the big three nationally.

The Weber Performer was by far, the best selling board of that era and is now the best selling Long Board ever. 

Thanks Iggy!