Von Dutch inspired designs

Anyone doing any retro Von Dutch style pinstriping/design work. Thinking of trying to design and build a “Hot Rod” longboard. Something like a BOSS type of shape (Bob O) meets Von Dutch style and vibe. Am I making any sense to anyone?

“As far as surfboard design standards go, as Rabbit Kekai has said, “to each his own”… I dont want to waste too many words comparing apples and oranges. There is no reason why radically different forms of wave riding cant exist side by side, each having their particular strengths and weaknesses. What worked well decades ago, are today`s classics, and nothing will ever seriously threaten the relevance of those timeless shapes and the means of riding them… unless they are neglected and forgotten. Dale” There’s a master writer on this site, I have quoted him in my response to you. Not specific to your Von Dutch question but it still does apply, go for it! If you like it and can apply it to a board, it will probably be appreciated by others!

Anyone doing any retro Von Dutch style pinstriping/design work. Thinking > of trying to design and build a “Hot Rod” longboard. Something > like a BOSS type of shape (Bob O) meets Von Dutch style and vibe.>>> Am I making any sense to anyone? Yes… some surfboards are definitely as sexy as a hot rod.

Tyler is doing them…www.tylersurfboards.com

Yes… some surfboards are definitely as sexy as a hot rod. Just curious - don’t take this wrong - but where did the scent of “sexy” come in? Is the term “hot rod” indicative of that? Shoot you’re going to think I am stupid with that question . . . I guess what I mean is - oh I guess it’s semantics, that’s all. Anyway I am glad you didn’t mind my quoting you - it’s easy to use your writing as answers - because your words ring true.

Peter Pinline out of Moonlight Glassing in N. San Diego County has been doing some insane Von Dutch style pinlines for a few years now. Shapers Malcolm Campbell, Al Merrick, Chris Christenson and Wayne Lynch have all had their boards pinstriped by him. I’ll try to get him to post some photos. They are almost too cool to put wax over.

Just curious - don’t take this wrong - but where did the scent of > “sexy” come in? Is the term “hot rod” indicative of > that? Shoot you’re going to think I am stupid with that question . . . I > guess what I mean is - oh I guess it’s semantics, that’s all. Anyway I am > glad you didn’t mind my quoting you - it’s easy to use your writing as > answers - because your words ring true. Hey, Classic Design Appreciator, Never stupid, and I know how that must have sounded… but, for part of my past life Ive been a professional (traditional brush and paint) pinstriper/signpainter on tricked-out trucks, autos, signs, etc., from a generation thats often been guilty of literally interpreting such things as exquisitely machined and powerful custom firearms, motorcycles (yeah, crotch rockets), cars (especially with lots of muscle…er, horsepower), rich, fine leather and jet black carbon rubber, wickedly curved and sharp, cold steel (like handmade knives) as sort of, well… SEXY. And when it comes to certain surfboards, the smoothly sensual contrasts of well-tapered foils, contoured edges that subtlely bend and flow from thin to thick and back again, converging planes and lines that slowly twist, rise and fall, to meld elegantly, breaking into other forms… complex, intuitive eye candy curves that not only feel great to touch, but somehow look mysteriously “right” in their appearance… The resultant primal shock from this type of combined visual display and the smoldering, raw tension seemingly coiled up and trapped inside some surfboards is just waaay too much sensory input to simply tolerate staring at in some showroom… when faced with this level of lust, the only sane choice is to yield to your passions, toss your credit card at the salesman, head immediately to your favorite break and fully experience the ride. And later, if the affair grows into a serious relationship, perhaps fully committed, lifetime fidelity! Until the next one.

for part of my past life Ive been a professional (traditional brush and paint) > pinstriper/signpainter on tricked-out trucks, autos, signs, etc., from a > generation thats often been guilty of literally interpreting such things > as exquisitely machined and powerful custom firearms, motorcycles (yeah, > crotch rockets), cars (especially with lots of muscle…er, horsepower), > rich, fine leather and jet black carbon rubber, wickedly curved and sharp, > cold steel (like handmade knives) as sort of, well… SEXY.>>> And when it comes to certain surfboards, the smoothly sensual contrasts of > well-tapered foils, contoured edges that subtlely bend and flow from thin > to thick and back again, converging planes and lines that slowly twist, > rise and fall, to meld elegantly, breaking into other forms… complex, > intuitive eye candy curves that not only feel great to touch, but somehow > look mysteriously “right” in their appearance…>>> The resultant primal shock from this type of combined visual display and > the smoldering, raw tension seemingly coiled up and trapped inside some > surfboards is just waaay too much sensory input to simply tolerate staring > at in some showroom… when faced with this level of lust, the only sane > choice is to yield to your passions, toss your credit card at the > salesman, head immediately to your favorite break and fully experience the > ride. And later, if the affair grows into a serious relationship, perhaps > fully committed, lifetime fidelity! perceiving more than what meets the eye - in more ways than one . .either way you know I’m a fan . . . whatttttt? you were a painter . . . could you paint the way you write? One step farther and can you paint that way on the surf mats . . . (oh oh have to reveal something in order to ask the next question so will save that to another time - nothing intense - but relevant to the question. Keep on with the words! .

for part of my past life Ive been a professional (traditional brush and > paint)>>> perceiving more than what meets the eye - in more ways than one . .either > way you know I'm a fan . . . whatttttt? you were a painter . . . could you > paint the way you write? One step farther and can you paint that way on > the surf mats . . . (oh oh have to reveal something in order to ask the > next question so will save that to another time - nothing intense - but > relevant to the question. Keep on with the words! . My surfmats dont allow much of anything (like paint) to stick to them. Besides, a large part of the concept behind modern surfmats (within limits) lies in the irony of allowing the air that is trapped inside as much freedom as possible, providing a chance for the bottom surface to instantly respond, and effortlessly mimic (permitting very low friction) the waves rapidly changing textures and curves, while the top surface independently reacts to the riders body position and specific variations in compression through ones grip. The resultant feeling is a seemingly contradictory blend of resonance and shock absorsion... as though its somehow taken on a life of its own. From the lines one draws across a wave, or those brought forth by way of paint, wood, metal, a pencil or keyboard, a slab of foam, even how air itself is briefly captured, shaped and tamed within a surfmat, whatever it is… such things are simply extensions and slaves of the mind… a means to an end, proceeding from the heart and soul of the creator.

Okay, Dale…You’ve got me hooked on a 'mat and I’ve yet to ride one! From one whose profession is writing: If your mat’s ride is at all comparable to your eloquent descriptions…Sign me up! I’ve got to get one now! I’ve been holding out long enough. What’s the best way to get one? I’m in the LA area. One more thing: I’m not sure if you’ve already fielded this question, maybe I missed it: Could you please compare and contrast a mat with a boogie board? Not meaning to start a new thread here, so maybe e-mail would be better? Thanks…deeb…

Okay, Dale…You’ve got me hooked on a 'mat and I’ve yet to ride one! > From one whose profession is writing: If your mat’s ride is at all > comparable to your eloquent descriptions…Sign me up! I’ve got to get one > now! I’ve been holding out long enough. What’s the best way to get one? > I’m in the LA area. One more thing: I’m not sure if you’ve already fielded > this question, maybe I missed it: Could you please compare and contrast a > mat with a boogie board? Not meaning to start a new thread here, so maybe > e-mail would be better? Thanks…deeb… Deeb, I`ll email you later this evening… thanks for the kind words! Dale

Okay, Dale…You’ve got me hooked on a 'mat and I’ve yet to ride one! > From one whose profession is writing: If your mat’s ride is at all > comparable to your eloquent descriptions…Sign me up! I’ve got to get one > now! I’ve been holding out long enough. What’s the best way to get one? > I’m in the LA area. One more thing: I’m not sure if you’ve already fielded > this question, maybe I missed it: Could you please compare and contrast a > mat with a boogie board? Not meaning to start a new thread here, so maybe > e-mail would be better? Thanks…deeb… but am afraid that if one hadn’t read his words they would be lost as to what it was. As it was, I didn’t know what a surfmat was and was too afraid to ask - can you believe I thought it was some sort of top layer that was applied to a surfboard. But I also couldn’t ignore Dale’s words - on any subject so far that I have read - so eventually I was going to spill my question. Using as an excuse that I am just a girl, and hoping that would help. Thanks deeb - if his mat is as eloquent as his words I shouldn’t have to learn how to ride it, hopefully I’m thinking it’s a magic carpet.

Deeb,>>> I`ll email you later this evening… thanks for the kind words!>>> Dale me too, I included my email address in the box above but it doesn’t look like it took - so better give again here - you know . . . hammer and a nail - nail morphed to classic design and there I said it looked like you might just be perceiving more - in replying to that sonnet you wrote about hot rods. Worried then you might think classic design was speaking a bit ambiguous - but you sailed right past so freely. Now I clarify classic design is a girl, even though the great thing is that it obviously would be no big deal had classic design been speaking ambiguously. Profound perception notices no gender. Would be great if your surfmat wouldn’t notice it either - and would reel me through the water with no turmoil. Sounds fun no matter.