Water flow on rails.

I don’t see any problem with width, it can be balanced out with bottom shape.

I’m still wondering what the rail shape will be.

one thing i’ve learned is that sketching ideas on paper is the way to go…

i had a thought last night…basically a modified 70/30 rail…on a sheet of paper sketch a low rail design, like a 70/30 rail…add a tucked under bottom edge…at the apex add another corner or edge. You can also opt for a slightly larger radius between the two corners so that you get more outward release at the top rather than an upward release that may shed water onto the deck.

i’ll have to try this myself…i think it would work cuz you’re not going too extreme…its just a moderate modification of a proven rail design. what im wondering though is if all the corners/edges create turbulence near the skin of the board…??? My guess is no b/c of all of the release away from the board…

Your right about not going too extreme. If the bottom rail shape is conserved for its function, then really nothing is too extreme.

I think with edges on the outer rail there will be no problem. Even at certain speeds and certain situations some water will make it’s way to the deck, the rail bury slash for example, but due to the good release should have very quick recovery and negligible negative effect.

I’ve been playing a lot with aps3000 with some interesting visual results. I don’t know how to transfer it to post here though.

Here’s one for reflection and meditation.

It’s George Greenough’s sailboard bottom and rail shape. (curves aren’t exactly right)

Coupled with his paddle fin, which he designed for HIGH speed flex/spring, that’s why it doesn’t work on a longboard, by the way.

Hmmm… still remember my plywood paipo being the…