waterlogged :(

I’ve never really been ‘in practice’ per se, before this last trip I had only surfed like 10 times, so sure.

I may have said this before, but it wasn’t really difficult to paddle in the sense that I was struggling physically to do so. I mean difficult in the sense that water was plowing off the bow and even submerging at times.

About not making the waves, that could very well have to do with my skill level, although that wasn’t an issue on my first surf of the trip down at tourmaline. I was making the waves even though I was so tired from the drive and sleepless nights that I only stayed out for 10 minutes before I was dead and came in for water. But nonetheless I was making them.

maybe I can go out this weekend… just have to see about that water and patch up those dings…

When I mentioned being out of practice, it’s only because I know the feeling all too well. Ticker issues, concussions, and some busted ribs will do that to you…
God, I sound like a whiny little bitch.

When it comes to waterlogged dings, I always throw in my one piece of advice (that I got from Kokua): Rinse the ding with a little fresh water in order to remove the salt crystals. Those crystals can damage the ding repair.

When it comes to waterlogged dings, I always throw in my one piece of advice (that I got from Kokua): Rinse the ding with a little fresh water in order to remove the salt crystals. Those crystals can damage the ding repair.

this weekend I buried the nose of my board in my ribs knocking the breath out of me. It hurt so bad for a second and felt so weird I thought I broke a rib for sure haha but it was just the wind left me for a minute. First time getting hit by the board like that, damn thing hurts ha ha. Concussions jeez that sounds terrible.

Gaaaahd why did I come back a day early… I could be out there RIGHT NOW.

I saw a dude riding a wave storm that was cut in half, and he had attached this ridiculous foil to it. Looked pretty awesome, I wish I’d gotten some pictures.

I would just change boards. Maybe you can buy the other half of the “Wave Torment”. Err Storm.

haha. never!

took it out this weekend it wasn’t so bad as I thought. Must’ve been the imagination or the river mouth/inexperience situation.

In all seriousness, the thought has seriously crossed my mind. I do want a new board, but this one’s alright, so until I’m done with my first shape or until I get suckered into buying one we’re hanging in there, by the adhesive of the packing tape!

hmm. I wonder what ever did become of that other half…

The difference between fresh and salt water is negligible when it comes to buoyancy.
PU foam does not become “waterlogged”. That is an old myth. It’s the main reason that balsa was replaced by PU foam, besides availability and ease of shaping. Wood soaks up water. PU foam does not.
You can take a block of PU foam and submerge it for a year, and weigh it before and after. The gain would be less than 1% total weight.

What would happen if you took a glassed board with some major dings and submerged that for a year?

Thanks for weighing in Sammy, I did not know that. I know a ding in a poly blank can eventually become discolored around the ding area, and I have repaired dings to a polyurethane board that had some water (small amount) that had to be dried out, so I assumed there is some moisture getting in over time.

But the initial post, about surfing with dings and noticing the board sitting lower in the water, and being harder to paddle (by the end of a week) didn’t jibe with my experience over the years. To my thinking, it would take pounds of weight to cause that kind of difference.

Color me skeptical about the Malibu Lagoon changing the salinity of the lineup enough to cause a difference in paddling also. I surf there from time to time, and I’m pretty sure Bill was referring to a flowing river emptying into the lineup, which the Malibu Lagoon really isn’t, from my experience, unless its during a period of heavy rainfall. Even at third point, right by the lagoon, I have never noticed any difference to speak of.

I do recall surfing Malibu years ago, when I was just kinda getting back into surfing, and having a hard time judging the takeoff, missing waves I thought I had. Something about the way the waves sweep along the point seems to be a bit different from the Ventura spots I had been frequenting.

Back on the topic of waterlogged boards - once the board is dried and repaired, I hope the original poster will weigh it, and tell us if indeed there was any real substantial difference in weight resulting from his open dings taking in water.

Now that’s a Hot one!