What are the rules for making twin fins work?

On these midelength twins like Torren Martyn is riding, what kind of toe-in and cant is being used??

I read somewhere that Simon Jones in Byron Bay does all his boards and has for years

Clicked your link but couldn’t find toe-in and cant mentioned, maybe you could direct me if I’m missing something. Thnx!

MiWie, I wonder if you made other versions of the blue bottom board w shorter and/or different types of channels and what yr findings were if so

I apologize for lack of clairity.  I do not know that info just the source of the designs he rides (from the article). If you can somehow get a hold of one of Jones’ boards… But then again, since tastes, riding styles, etc vary person to person, really best bet is to experiment with different angles of same fins on same board (take notes of course) to find what you personally can make best use of

I havent built many twins, nothing like the midlength boards Torren Martyn rides, what cant and toe in have you found to be the best starting point?

I’m thinking 1/8" toe in and 4° cant, flat inside, about 12" - 12.5" from tail to back of fins, maybe 2 1/2" - 3" in from rail to back of fin, all just arbitrary numbers from looking at pics. 

But hoping someone here on this twin fin thread has some insight beyond just my wild guesstimate.

I´m by no means an expert. I have collected a douzen pictures of Simon Jones “Fiji” Twins and “Massive” Twins and measured the fin position in my CAD.

(the futures plugs and the board length give a quite precise scale).

The fins seem to be positioned between 9 and 12 from tail. With 9" on the shorter (6ft range) boards, 10-11" on boards around the 7ft length and 12 on the longer “massive” boards (8ft range)

I´ve read somewhere, that Torren mostly uses keel style fins on boards over 7ft, but modern twin templates on the shorter boards.

I´ve only built a couple of those pintail / channelbottom twins ranging from 6ft4 to 7ft3.

I´ve put the fins 9" from tail on the short ones under 6’6.

9.5" from tail on a 6’10 and 10" from tail on a 7’3.

I like 4° cant on all of those boards. Flat inside foil fins.

Akila template or MR template on the shorter boards. Fuller base fin templates on the longer boards (Dave Parmenter Twin template, FCS Power twin, Modern keel variations)

I make my own fins, so they are just based on the ones mentioned above.

I can´t give you exact toe in numbers, because I prefer to measure toe in with a 8ft masonite piece in relation to the nose.

The shorter boards have apr. 3/16" toe in. The 6’10 and 7’3 have less toe in, a hair over 1/8"

The boards work very good for me.

The 6.10  turns really good and has tons of hold and drive. I think I could have gone up to 10" or 10.5" whitout lossing to much hold.

But this is meant as a step up for steeper waves and I wanted hold and drive over thighter turning arcs. It´s not to stiff for me with the fins @ 9" from tail.

The 7’3 did not have as much hold and drive as the 6’10. The 7’3 didn´t have a channelbottom and a bit wider tail than the 6’10. So it´s not only down to fin position.

The 7’3 was a cruisy egg, the 6’10 is more aimed at performance.

I have an 8’ midlength that I’ve decided to convert to twin. It has a wide tail, 10", and its had a pretty good run as a quad. But a couple of the fin plugs had issues and I was gonna replace them. It also needs some other repairs at the same time.

So I’m gonna give it a new life as a twin, and hope to loosen it up a bit in the process. I appreciate the numbers given, if you’re gonna talk about making any fin configuration work, at some point you have to talk numbers.

I picked up some Rainbow Futures fins today, the cant is pre-set at what looks like about 8°.  Sounds like the 1/8" toe-in is in the ballpark. Trailing edge about 12.5" up from the tail, and about 2" in from the rail. I am still in research mode, and would appreciate any specific numbers on fin placement for a midlength twinnie.

Mine, originally were 9" from the tail and still it lacked drive.

The fins are 5-5/8" tall and 5-1/8" on the base, Toed in about 1/4" and canted about 5deg 

I changed it to a twinzer and reduced the size of the fins when I found out I didn’t like how it was working as a twin

Let us know how it works

Humm…

Struck a nevre 

Rules? 

There are no rules…

Back, back to…

'Don’t know if anyone else noticed this, but, if you’re like me, when I first saw this picture I thought this was two similiar, but slightly different boards (i.e one a twin, the other a single-fin) with the same kind of paint job.

It isn’t. They’re both of the same board except one end has a black single box in it and the other has twin white boxes in it.

That’s right, it’s an honest-to-god double-ender.

That’d have to be one of the rarest kinds of a functioning shape/style of surfboard out there (sure most kiteboards are bi-directional, but how many surfboards do you see set up like that for regular surfing?).

Wow.

You’d be blowing a few minds out in the lineup with that thing.

Kudos.

I have a feeling that my lack of success has been because of too much toe in

I may have gotten lucky when the fin box shifted a bit when I was sticking it in - I ended up with about 1/8" toe in

The original twin fins from around '69 , early 70’s had no cant and no toe-in … the trailing tip of the fins were level with the tail of the board- you could stand them up on a hard surface on the three points , tail and two fin tips…and they worked superbly from small waves to overhead waves . I know because I had one and rode it in everything . It never tracked an inch , and it never dropped out in larger waves…there were many dogs being built around that time , but a good one was a magic board.

Just contact simon…

I have a 7.10 massive.with an 8.2 on the way…im up in santa cruz…

They work great…

Better than my bruce fowler NVMs ?no…just different…

Because i have gotten 4 from bruce in the last year and they are all spot on…

Rocket ships…

But the mote torren twins are a nice difference…

Here is mine…

I do like that and have seen a few Twinnie longboards over the years.  That is one of the nicer ones.

This is indisputable fact.  I had one as well.  Surfed up on the Central Coast of Calif.   Had an evening session on it at a rare spot up there.  Two guys stood on the cliff and watched for about an hour.  Twenty years later one of them told me he still remembers watching me tear that spot up on that Twin.

Something like this was what I had in mind

Lots of outline curve, narrow tail

I’d like to try shaping an 8’ version of one of those - An asym with a 5-3/4" fin on the toe side rail

Cool! Keep us apprised, should be an interesting project!

I’m coming along on converting my 8 footer to a twin, removed the old plugs and filled with foam.

Blinky’s son at Ventura Surfshop (where I bought my fins) volunteered his dad, who also works there, to help me with layout.  So once I get the board ready for fin plugs, should be soon, I’m gonna take it by the shop and get his input.

I shall post as progress is made

I am completing the glass job on this one, just glossed the bottom today.

I missed a day of good conditions to work on it, but it was a good for glassing and the gloss coat came out nice.

This is my prototype. I thought I’d try some channels, just because I haven’t tried them before.

This board ought to give me some clues to what’s good for fin placement. I have another blank that I’ll shape with a less complex bottom sometime in the near future.

Thanks for taking an interest