What do you prefer? cutlap or freelap..............

…And which is stronger?Which is easier to work with? State your reasons…pros,and cons.Herb

Herb, I just did my first time cutlap a couple hours ago. Before I did all the lam job in free lap. The board I m working with has a very thin rail, so I decided to cutlap instead of free lap. I think cutlap in thin rail board should be stronger than freelap. That’s the reason. Regards, Crabie

I much prefer to have cut lap on all classic style boards but I prefer to DO free laps because the free lap is much easier. Give me time to perfect the cut lap though.

even when there’s no volan or tint issue to mandate doing a cut-lap, i dont mind the little extra time and trouble of doing it anyways. i don’t have electric shears, and stray threads really bug me, so cut-lap makes my irregularites more regular. and if they’re real bad i can cover them with a pin. i don’t know if either one is stronger than the other. if i was a production glasser, i’m sure i would starve.>>> …And which is stronger?Which is easier to work with? State > your reasons…pros,and cons.Herb

I would ASSUME that freelap is stronger, because of the fact that once it is set you dont mess with it, but I really have no clue as I’ve only glassed 8 boards to date… I think freelap is easier, but I prefer cutlap for its “clean look” BTW Hey Herb! Long time, How ya been? I never did thank you for the tinting tips about a year ago Thanks!>>> …And which is stronger?Which is easier to work with? State > your reasons…pros,and cons.Herb

I would ASSUME that freelap is stronger, because of the fact that once it > is set you dont mess with it, but I really have no clue as I’ve only > glassed 8 boards to date… I think freelap is easier, but I prefer cutlap > for its “clean look”>>> BTW Hey Herb! Long time, How ya been? I never did thank you for the > tinting tips about a year ago Thanks! …YOU’RE WELCOME Dewey.HOPE WE GET SOME WAVES SOON!!!Herb

when is the best time to cut the lap? meaning before it sets or after…

what is the best tool to cut the lap for a clean line???

Ditto what Ramon said. Teddy, best time is when it gels just before it gets hard. I use a brand new single edge razor blade.