What is it? Wood surfboard / paipo related

The balsa board has a striking similarity in design to a malibu chip…like a Matt Kivlin ?

Here is a case in particular we were researching with additional photos and some discussion:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC4NZcInvrd/

Thanks for taking the time to post that, a very neat piece.

If you have any suggestions for sites/discussions that focus on vintage wood surfcraft, I’d love to know!

Sways is great, but it’s a really peripheral point here.

We are always receptive to conversations on all things paipo on the MyPaipoBoards.org forums site. We don’t have tons of vintage wood discussed on the site, but it is integral to our focus on paipo surfing history and modern day paipo surfing and design and building which includes wood, sealants, fiberglass and other covering, foams, etc. Paipos were also early in the hydrofoil surfriding experience.

Hey, Rodrigo, have you looked in on this thread? Interesting - Stoneburner’s assist build 48 1/2" body board 

good day for some rum-

doc…

Hi Doc, yeah, but there is a lot more going on there than just paipo! Certainly easier to prototype some design features on a smaller platform before going full scale. There are some similarities with the Galera boards and also the big bodyboard with a deep channel, similar princples without the fine details and curves. The board is also rather large! It might have the liters of a funshape? I also think the Gus Acosta Wave Arrow never was fully tested out.

R&tube,

The channel can be used for a variety of surfcraft.  BBs were the original intention but not limiting.  The first channel was designed for a 42" BB.

The principles of physics used relate directly to the “curves.”  Improved tracking and control with low drag and without fins are the intended advantages.  Not seeing much similarity to Galera, standard channel bottoms or concaves.  The mechanism is very different.

Sorry for the sidetrack Huck.

Huck, your registration was approved on the MyPaipoBoards forums but you won’t get notified without a valid email address. I may have corrected it if the front-end is valid as-is.

OK, thnx.  I did give my correct email, so will see what happens.  No email yet, but I am able to log in now.

Reminiscent of the Bing/Barger Auga

UncleG,

I am aware of the Auga and another board similar to the Auga from approx. 30 years ago.

While they got close, they missed the next level of evolution. 

The physics of fluid flow over curves differs substantially/significantly from straight/flat surfaces.

Bill