What would be your take on a short allrounder funboard?

This is something closer to what your computer shape is. It is 7’2" x 21.5" (maybe 22") x 3" and I made it using a 6’8" love child as the reference. My brother gave me a Modern Love Child that I wasn’t really happy with. I thought it would be a better paddler if it was about 7’, so made this using the rocker from the love child stretched out to 7’ 2". I also decided to make it a diamond tail because I like those tails (square or rounded square and swallows too). It has more curve in the tail than I normally would do for that kind of tail.

I purposely left a lot of foam up in the nose and under the chest to be able to stand way up front. This board is a great paddler and works best for me in the small to just overhead waves. Because it is thick, it’s hard to duck dive, but I prefer paddling around the waves and avoid pushing through as much as possible. If I know I’m going to have to paddle through or under sets, I use a smaller board.

Thanks gdaddy! I was hoping that you would chime in! I saw you talking about egg shapes in other threads and the 7’10 (or was it 6’10) that you kept in for a long time that served as a ‘family board’.

Really interesting to listen to your opinion.

I think you misunderstood my first post, so I’ll clarify it quickly.

From my first post:

• I would like a 2 board quiver as a staple and for traveling. With these 2 surfboards, I might add another surfboard or two when traveling with the van like a longboard or a step-up surfboard.
  • One of them will be a fuller outline shortboard for waist-high to a bit overhead conditions. An easy to ride shortboard to really get a lot of waves and practicing maneuvers.

</li>
    <li>

So for the other one I want it to be like a short funboard that has some potential for a quick walk up to the nose (noserides, cheater 5s etc.). Under 7’ and a board that I will surf when the waves are too small or weak for my shortboard. A lot of days I also like to grab a longboard for small and clean beach break waves. When traveling light and easy, I have found to miss a <7’ funboard/Mini Noserider for those days.

</li>

So an easy to ride shortboard and one that I called a funboard, a board for 1-6 feet waves from mushy to some small and clean waves. This board is for trimming, more front footed surfing, but that also turns easily. Now I want to build the latter. 

You’re spot on with the 6’0. This is the size that I’m considering for the shortboard that I will build later this year.

Excellent info, thank you! 

As I want to keep the board rather short (6’4-6’9) I think the wide point forward of center is the way to go, as I tend to be more front footed when surfing such a board. 2-3" forward of center sounds okay, right?

For the fins: I think about a single fin + quad and going to move the fin poszion forward or trying the larger (twin-sized) front fins and smaller rear fins.

@sharkcounty: You just posted two cool posts and I’ll combine them to respond to you.

Great read! I enjoy that kind of posts!

Why is the blue board in storage - how was the ride?

Ohhhh I saw a board with 2 tails and no nose like your purple board (pic is on page 2 for everbody reading this) long time ago on the internet. Now you reminded me of that concept again. That might be a great board to build and experiment with in terms of wide point position and comparing it to a ‘standard’ board with tail and nose of the same size and comparable rocker. I might build a board like that after my funboard and compare it to it and see how it goes and what I can learn from it. Now I’m hooked hahah. Talking about about rocker, what rocker did you use on your 8 footer?

You’re absolutely right with your last part. I like to go my own path. Most of the time I have lots of ideas and a vision on how I want my project to come out. Regarding surfboards in particular there is so many different theories and concepts, lots of secrets and also lots of years of experience. With my young age (27) I belong to the younger group and over here in Germany it’s not possible to drive to shapers and talk to them. I would love to do it and I always talk to people when I’m in France or Spain. In this forum there is lots of information and inspiration. I like to observe, listen and learn by doing it myself. Here are many people that have lots of experience and diffrent stories and interests. A great place to ask and talk about surfboards, having fun doing it and build a “better” surfboard. So in the end, having more fun surfing hahaha.

So thanks again to all the people contributing to this thread!!! I really aspreciate it!

That is close, yeah! You seem to like the diamond tails too. What is your weight (for reference)?

That tail looks similar to mine (lots of curve and diamond tail like the wombat from Beau Young). Why did you use more curve in the tail with that diamond and how does it ride?

I think my funboard will also be hard to duck dive, so that I’ll use it for small waves and waves where I can get out easily (for the waves that its designed to). Hossegor beach breaks can be tricky and powerful sometimes, but I had great success paddling out on 7’-9’ boards either in beetween sets or using the turtle roll when its bigger. Small Hossegor is still fun with that kind of board and lots of foam. When it gets too heavily, I’ll switch to something smaller (a shortboard that I will build after that one).

Your nose it still quite “pointy”. Do you prefer it over a full sized round nose?

Maaan, I don’t have any interesting boards around me that I could use to get some outlines to play with and create my own. So I have to stick with BoardCAD for this board.

“Why is the blue board in storage - how was the ride?”

I was using my inlaws house next door to make boards and store my “out of rotation” boards. Last October we tore the house down to build a new house, so I had to move all of my things out. Turned out I had a lot more boards than I thought, so I wrapped them in plastic (3 in a bundle) and stored them under my current home (dirt). When the new house is completed, we’re moving into that house, so I’ll slowly move stuff back there. Until then, they’ll be sitting under my house wrapped up.

“Talking about about rocker, what rocker did you use on your 8 footer?”

The double ended 8’ board has 2 tails, so it has very low rocker, the narrow tail side has just under 2.5" rocker and the wider end has just under 3". The other difference is the wider end is flat, but the narrower end has a double concave starting in front of the fin. The rails on that board have a hard edge all the way around.

“Why did you use more curve in the tail with that diamond and how does it ride?”

The yellow bottom board started out as a stretched out version of the 6’8" love child. The love child has a pulled in rounded pin, so when I mad the decision to change it to the diamond, I had already committed to more curve. The positive side, is that the little bump helps keep the board a little bit looser. Generally I do prefer an straighter rail and a hard edge like a swallow or square that keeps the tail slightly wider and makes sharper turns.

“Your nose it still quite “pointy”. Do you prefer it over a full sized round nose?”

Nothing against rounded noses, but I don’t think they “look” as nice. I’m not sold on the cut off nose boards yet, but I understand the concept.

“What is your weight (for reference)?”

I’m only 5’ 6" tall, but I weigh between 160 and 170. When I made the yellow board I was closer to 170, I’m at 164 or less now, and I’m 62. Been surfing since the late 60s and my family had beach houses where I learned about the ocean and all that it offers with several generations of family.

I should also add that I started making boards because I wanted things that were not “popular” at the time, and most shapers were too busy doing their tried and true boards to experiment. I do what others don’t want to do or don’t think will work. In many cases the things I did were so far out there they didn’t work as well as I hoped, but I learned where the boundaries are for me with bottom contours, rails, rockers, and so much more.

Here’s a clip a friend shot of me the last time I rode the 8’ board. I rode it with the narrow tail.

I thought that you would have more or less of an equal rocker on both sides of the 8’ board. I think an double concave from one tail to the other would work on such a board. Cool video clip, thanks for sharing! Looks like that boards performs pretty well. Would you go with the same rocker on a 6’10 board?

What do you think about my tail shape and curve in my outline (post #5): leave it like that or should I consider increasing the width a bit by increasing the diamond tail and straightening the tail?

I wasn’t sure if the board would work, so the little bit of extra rocker helps when I ride it with the narrow tail. Most of the difference is in the last 6 inches. You can get away with less nose rocker if you have a little more tail rocker. I think that is how true nose riding longboards are made. 

Not a fan of the wide round nose because where I surf, it tends to catch wind and hold you back from dropping down. I purposely left the meat in my yellow samurai board to be able to be further forward when paddling. I’m not sure if that would work for others.

I made the 6’ 10" with the same rocker, maybe 3" in the nose. This is one of my favorite newer boards.

Here’s a clip of me riding the 6’ 10" and the last ride is on a 5’ 10" with a wide round tail and narrow nose, you can see how much more “squirrelly” it is.

Really cool, thanks!

So that 6’10 is just a normal board (no double tail version of the 8’), but with a similar rocker, right?

What do you guys think about these outlines?

I went shorter now (recommendation from several people). Mainly due to the fact, that I will use this board quite often in beach breaks and in mushy waves with windy coditions. 

Dims are: 6’4  x  20 1/4  x  2 13/16

1. outline: 17,75" nose width; 15,50" tail width

2. outline: 16,75" nose width; 14,75" tail width

3. outline: 17,00" nose width; 15,00" tail width

Rocker: 3 3/4 nose; 2 1/4 tail

Bottom contours: double concave nose to tail

I have seen several shorter full outline boards that have a stinger or a hip and therefore a reduced width in the tail. Maybe it would be something to consider for Outlines 2 & 3. What do you think about that?

Your design #3, finned as a ‘‘Twingle’’, is what I would go to.       

Thanks Bill! What are your thoughts behind using a “Twingle” with design #3?

Jb number 3 looks the ticket. I have a similar board, with a kick in the nose at 6’7, but very flat otherwise. Full 50 50s with 4+1 setup. It’s a board I don’t have bad surfs on. Diamond tail and wide nose make it super fast and it’ll go from knee high to as big as we get here.

Notably, having tried all fin configs, I prefer it as a thruster with a stiff centre and flexy sides. Also ended up making a 5’10 twin version with down rails which goes like no tomorrow! 

My ‘‘thoughts’’ are based in the combination of the nose and tail dimensions, board width, and the rocker dimensions.         Those numbers are nearly the exact numbers on a board I made for my young nephew.        The board was finned as a Twingle.       That board changed his surfing life.       The fin configuration is what elevated his surfing experience.   He surfs reef breaks (WindanSea, Swami’s), and beach breaks (Del Mar, Pipes, LJ Shores), in the San Diego area      His report is that the board is a standout in all conditions.      My personal experience, and the experiences of other surfers, are what colors my recommendation to you. 

Thanks Bill!!! 

I don’t have any experience with “Twingle” set-ups, and that makes me curious. I have seen some windsurfboards with a similar “Twingle” set-up.

Where do I have to position the fin boxes (using the standard FU fin boxes) and what kind and size of fins?

Beyond try-it-and-see, I’ve never seen anyone actually use multiple fin setups on a board set up for 4+1 on the long term basis.  They always seem to gravitate to one setup to the exclusion of the others.   Moreover, it you tend to use different bottom, rocker and rail transitions for different fin setups like most builders do then setting a board up for 4+1 will require making a compromise which will inevitably favor one setup at the expense of the others.   

I don’t even do the same combo of bottom/rocker/rail transitions for 2+1s that I use for singles.    

The OP isn’t buying retail so cost is mostly not a factor.   If they want 2 different boards to do 2 different things then they should build 2 different boards, each being more specific to purpose.   More boards, fewer compromises.      

Thank you Billy! Seems like #3 is a favorite! 

Would you go with down rails, if you would shape another 6’7?

Thanks gdaddy! Appreciate your opinion and I agree with you. 

I would use more fin boxes with my boards just to experiment and learn a bit more about all the boards aspects like rocker/rail/bottom contours/fin set-ups.

What would you recommend for my 6’4 board?

What do you normally surf and how do you want to surf this board?    If you normally surf a thruster and you have the stance and skills to actually make that cluster work then do that.  Otherwise most people of more average abilities surf better on twin or quad.   I think the board is too short for a single but Bill’s Twingle could be a good choice, or you could stick with a 2+1.   That’s almost never a BAD choice.   

I think your choice is more dependent on your own skill set and the conditions you’re surfing.   

Yes, but it is made from scraps of EPS foam glued together to make the blank.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/107524/another-eps-foam-cooler-board

I’m not sure in all honesty! Perhaps one of the more experienced guys could chime in on this.

I will say the 50/50 rails is very user friendly and predictable, paddle more stable too. My down rails tend to carry there speed in different parts of the wave.