Which Fin System

Like I said, the choice is yours. I’ve just seen to many ripped out rails > to use red-x. They might work where you guys surf but they don’t really > cut it here. Now I know you you have no experience with Red X. If it was blowing out rails all over in Hawaii don’t you think that Brian Ping (our Hawiaian distributor) would tell us. Do you really think that Luke Egan, Mike Parsons, Rob Machado, Taj Burrow, Taylor Knox, Margo, Brad Gerlach, Tim Curren, wouldn’t be all over my case if they were having rail blow outs. If there was that type of problem Channel Islands would drop us like a hot potatoe. If it weren’t for the fact that FCS was falling out of DHD boards they never would have switched exclusively to Red X.

A reef dosn’t care what kind of fin system you have when you hit it. It will destroy your fin and whatever system you have. Just had a client blow out two glass ons, had me replace them with a FCS system. I don’t tell prople which system to use, I just install and fix them. One client blew out a red-x and had me replace the system with glass ons.It seems that you might be the one who’s making the $ off sales of Red-x.I’ve had enough experience with them to not make them the system of choice.Do you have to deal with reefs where you surf,most of our spots are reef breaks. Aloha from Kauai

They work,they’re the cheapest,and easiest to install.Herb. I totally agree, we have guys who only use a system on their travel boards. Nothing worse than picking up your board at a destination only to find your fins have been damaged.

A reef dosn’t care what kind of fin system you have when you hit it. It > will destroy your fin and whatever system you have. Just had a client blow > out two glass ons, had me replace them with a FCS system. I don’t tell > prople which system to use, I just install and fix them. One client blew > out a red-x and had me replace the system with glass ons.It seems that you > might be the one who’s making the $ off sales of Red-x.I’ve had enough > experience with them to not make them the system of choice.Do you have to > deal with reefs where you surf,most of our spots are reef breaks.>>> Aloha from Kauai Here’s an example from an endorsement contest we’re running at www.surfforum.com. For years I had nothing but bad experiences with FCS. They were constantly being repaired; plugs popping out from slight hits or even from hard turns. And most of the time they out put an irritating hum, especially during bottom turns. My shaper introduced me to Red-X (Excel back then) and I’ve been the biggest fan and loyal user ever since. I’ve been through many many boards with Red-X, often scraping the reef or smacking my bod in ways that would have been disastrous for FCS plugs (never seen FCS fins break off at those tabs). So far, only once needed to reinstall a Red-X fin box - I was exiting the surf one day at Laniakea and accidentally paddled onto a turtle that was swimming just below the surface in the opposite direction. I saw it too late, hit it’s shell straight on, and hit it HARD… hard enough to stop my forward motion and drag me back a bit. The turtle didn’t even flinch, kept going. Knowning that there were no rocks where I came in, my brother (already on the beach) was tripping when I went “ohh SHIT!!” - stood up and turned my board over to see a fin box pulled out. Brian, the Excel rep here on Oahu fixed it for me and I was in surf with it 2 days later! If you check out the thread you’ll see a photo he posted of his past and present quiver. Alot of buckled boards. But, he’s totally stoked with how the fin boxes have held up.

Here’s an example from an endorsement contest we’re running at > www.surfforum.com. For years I had nothing but bad experiences with FCS. > They were constantly being repaired; plugs popping out from slight hits or > even from hard turns. And most of the time they out put an irritating hum, > especially during bottom turns. My shaper introduced me to Red-X (Excel > back then) and I’ve been the biggest fan and loyal user ever since. I’ve > been through many many boards with Red-X, often scraping the reef or > smacking my bod in ways that would have been disastrous for FCS plugs > (never seen FCS fins break off at those tabs). So far, only once needed to > reinstall a Red-X fin box - I was exiting the surf one day at Laniakea and > accidentally paddled onto a turtle that was swimming just below the > surface in the opposite direction. I saw it too late, hit it’s shell > straight on, and hit it HARD… hard enough to stop my forward motion and > drag me back a bit. The turtle didn’t even flinch, kept going. Knowning > that there were no rocks where I came in, my brother (already on the > beach) was tripping when I went “ohh SHIT!!” - stood up and > turned my board over to see a fin box pulled out.>>> Brian, the Excel rep here on Oahu fixed it for me and I was in surf with > it 2 days later!>>> If you check out the thread you’ll see a photo he posted of his past and > present quiver. Alot of buckled boards. But, he’s totally stoked with how > the fin boxes have held up. I would’ve had you back in the water in 2 hrs

I would’ve had you back in the water in 2 hrs You are just not getting the point. Red X will greatly reduce the the chances that your fin attachment system will be blown out. It also provides for a significant amount less base flex. Which equates to greater confidence in your equipment and more drive out of your turns.

Buttons with fins.

OkPoop, Check out our web on www.edgefins.kauaistyle.com It well explain all! Mahalo, Have a great surf ! Clyde Rodgers , I need the straight poop. Going to drop the cash on one of the fin > installation kits. The question is which one. Since I build mainly just > for myself, I am looking for the EASIEST install. Would that be FCS, RedX, > O’fishl, or futures? Pros and cons of each, your recommendations? The less > techincal the install the better. Thanks ahead of time for your continued > selfless sharing of knowledge and experience. ed

Check out our web on www.edgefins.kauaistyle.com It well explain all!>>> Mahalo, Have a great surf ! Clyde Rodgers>>> , I need the straight poop. Going to drop the cash on one of the fin Howzit Clyde, Finished Billy’s board yesterday after I saw you. Came out real nice. Had a little bit of indentation left on the rail side,but that’s because we added the extra bit of angle. I’ll have Mark get in touch about the $ he owes you. Aloha Wildog

Check out our web on www.edgefins.kauaistyle.com It well explain all!>>> Mahalo, Have a great surf ! Clyde Rodgers>>> , I need the straight poop. Going to drop the cash on one of the fin Hey Clyde, Gonna work on those laminates today, shoud have results in a day or two. Aloha Wildog

Ok, I need the straight poop. Going to drop the cash on one of the fin > installation kits. The question is which one. Since I build mainly just > for myself, I am looking for the EASIEST install. Would that be FCS, RedX, > O’fishl, or futures? Pros and cons of each, your recommendations? The less > techincal the install the better. Thanks ahead of time for your continued > selfless sharing of knowledge and experience. ed I prefer the Future system it is quick to install(a lot quicker than FCS and probably lighter too), stronger than FCS, you can buy just the boxes if you want (unlike FCS), and the boxes/fins are cheaper that FCS (who just raised their prices), Future fins are available pretty much anywhere in the States although not everywhere outside of the States (as I found out in Spain when I ripped all 4 fins off of my kite board). The installation jig from fiberglass supply comes with a ryobi laminate trimmer so no extra tools are required. I’m not 100% sure but from the looks of it the Future jig will also work to install the o’fishl snap in system. Anyway that is my opinion. Good luck and happy surfing. Matthew Weaver

And by far the easiest to blow out…I’ve seen fins flying in the air > after a hard bottom turn at OB. I’ve seen fins break off with barely a > tap. Sounds like the fins were poorly or inproperly installed. I’ve broken two fins and lost one with the fcs system, both broken fins where do to contact with a hard object (don’t stall the board to stop in a shallow break). Last break was propably due to my own poor repair. I think FCS have a few flaws: 1) The slots have very little material support on the ends. not much material there and that’s where they break(sometimes). 2) If they’re not correctly installed(bonded to both deck and bottom layer of glass) it’s not much stronger than the foam(In the case of my repair). 3) The bottom layer fcs bonds to the edge of the fiberglass. Not very good if you have a very lightweight board with a 4oz bottom. I think some extra glass around the plugs are in order, maybe a patch with a cross cut in over the hole and thus get some of the glass down in the hole for support on the sides of the plug. Good thing about FCS is the availability(you can get them just about everywhere, even in Norway). Bad things: they sometimes break(and not where they are supposed to) and you end up with incomplete sets of fins and have to buy a full new set(I have two sets of protek fins with the trailing fin missing in action) -Håvard

Check out our web on www.edgefins.kauaistyle.com It well explain all!>>> Mahalo, Have a great surf ! Clyde Rodgers>>> , I need the straight poop. Going to drop the cash on one of the fin Hey Clyde, howzit? long time since Daytona, saw Charlie Gonzales at the Surf Expo last year, he looks good. Hope to see you while on Kaui some timw. Jim Phillips