Who's a good shaper that can copy my longboard???

Let’s be clear;  reread my posts.  Never said anyone could duplicate a board without taking measurements.  I will call  bull shit face to face to anyone who says I did.  Reread the damned posts.  This kind of bull shit isn’t what the poster was looking for.  He was looking for a recommendation.  He got several.  Get your panties outta your crack.

didn’t quote you, didn’t mention you… not sure why you’re taking what I wrote personally? And now looking for some type of confrontation? #idontgetit 

OK, Time To Settle Down.  I realize this profession/ art makes for passionate discussions…but mentioning “bunched panties” is too much ‘~’

I emailed Tim Stamps in Westminster, Ca this morning. He replied to me in under an hr. I’ll be taking my mystery board to him some time soon so we can discuss what I like and don’t like about it and take measurements etc. The easy thing for me is that I like most everything about it. Once again, if his replicated creation is “very close” to what I have now, I’ll be happy. A 1/32 of an inch difference, I won’t notice. Thank you all again!

…hello; 2004 says your profile there; so you are here from long time ago; 13 points so you never participate…then now asking about what shaper can duplicate a board in a forum where all at different levels hand shape or build a board/s you obtained such great real shapers names BUT you decided to go with a machine guy…so why not did that in the first instance and not waste time here.

You are one more that do not help in this industry maintaining real shapers and board builders in the business.

–McDing; you mentioned 2 hours in those tournaments but when they invited J Phillips he did not has enough time to finish the shape at 100%. He said that he needed plenty more to have a top quality finish job done.

Say the Shape is replicated 100% true, which is unlikely.

There are still variables which will affect its ride, the blank itself and the wood grain of the  stringer, the glassing schedule, and not only those factors, but the pressure used by the laminator, the sanding done by the sander, perhaps density variables with the foam and certainly the wood of the stringer.

All cannot be replicated exactly and some are complete unknowns, like how tightly the glass was pulled and how much presure used on the squeegee and all sorts of other invisible imperfections.

Magic boards are rarely replicated, as they have some element or combination of elements working together to achieve that magic, more than just outline, foil, and rocker, bottom contours and rail profile.  The best guess by the most skilled of craftsmen,  about which element(s) or combinations thereof, that makes up that ‘magic’, is still just a guess, with various levels of skill and ego behind it.  The best shapers working with the most skilled  and articulate of surfers, are largely guessing which variable it is that made that one stick magic, where others with same everything, lack that spark of the one magic one.

But its good to know what one likes, and refine it.  My shortboards have the same general outline since 1994 and are largely unaffected by what is on the racks in surfshops or online or any ‘models’ marketed to the easily influenced nimrod of today’s average self important wave rider.

My initial post was related to this.

People at large don’t realize how long boards can actually take to make, even for master shapers. I won’t say the name, because he might prefer this to be private info, but I and a friend had foam boards made by a very well-known (legendary) master shaper (30,000+ boards) when he was in town for Larry Fuller’s woodboard project. When we saw he was taking board orders, we both asked if we could get boards made mainly because we wanted the experience of watching him shape. He allowed it without hesitation. Moving around the racks, he was a MACHINE – no lost motion, no false moves, lots of little things to pick up about how to streamline the shaping process. It was the best shaping lesson I’ve had to date. He wasn’t rushing, and we were chatting the whole time, but he took about 5 hours each, per board, doing the shapes basically by eyeball – no measurements beyond width at 12" N and T, wide point set with dots, and no measurements of the rocker that I can recall other than eyeball measurements.

We both tipped him $40 per board, and even with that he made less than $40/hr. This is one of the world’s best known surfer/shapers, the top of the heap, and his hourly wage for our boards was probably around $35/hr. That is **** money for a master craftsman.

That’s why I wanted to highlight the extra labor of making a copy, versus making a board mainly from out of the shaper’s own mind, without all the back and forth measuring that goes into making a “copy.”

If you’re going to ask a master shaper to do that, IMO it’s important to make clear you’re willing to pay a higher price tag for the extra work. Someone who will do this for you with love and benevolent intention (I think that is part of any true, good handshape) should have his labor respected with an appropriate increase in price/cost.

GEEZ, time for a beer or two. I’m not an expert shaper, and havent shaped a board in over 9 years now. I picked Tim Stamps since he’s local to me, been around for a long while, and is one of the leaders in the shaping industry. He also has some well known team riders on his boards. Maybe a little computerized shaping plus human eyeballs and some hand finishing is what I really need to get my longboard reproduced well. I’ll find out in the next couple months…  

@ WRC68

Agreed, foam and stringer properties are likely the biggest uncontrolled variables.  Volume is of limited value if foam density is wrong.  Flex is affected by foam and stringer properties, especially for a longboard. Etc.

@ Reverb FTR

https://www.swaylocks.com/comment/561700#comment-561700

I am happy to support the skills of a pro shaper and/or pro glasser.  However, finding those who have time to work with you can be a challenge.

Vacuum bagging should get consistent glassing results.  

“3D scanning” can get you some very precise measurements of the original board in a reasonable time frame.

3D scanning:

He has a good reputation.  I know of him thru the guys at Aloha Glassing and Foam EZ.  Better than going with someone who would have taken a couple of years and refuses to communicate with you.  I’m sure it will be fine. Like I said;  He has a good reputation.  Especially amongst the hard core Huntington crew.

Tim Stamp worked for Harbour Surfboards 12-13 years ago…  He shaped the EPS remake of the Spherical Revolver I bought.