wide point

With the wide point on a board, is the measurement that is given the actual widest point or just the width in the very centre of the board? So if a board has a width given at 19" but the wide point is up 11/2", is the the measurement given for the width at the centre or the wide point? Hope someone understands what I’m trying to get at!

I’ve always understood it as being the widest point of the board, no matter if it is at center, above center or below center. Run a tape measure width wise across the bottom of the board, where ever it is the widest is the widest point. From there you can figure out where it is in relation to the center or half the length of the board.

Fred, I remember when Bill Stewart introduced his 9’5"S as a new blank with Clark, he made it a point to write that the wide point began at center and extended forward of center. I agree with Foamdust that the wide point measurement is measured at the widest point, regardless of position. That’s the way I do it, anyway. Doug

Yes, wide point is widest part of board. The relationship of widepoint to center is important. Different designs dictate wp placements. The best way to get a clear picture of this relationship is when you’re plotting your dimention points before templating. Put a mark at center and a mark of the same measurement 6" up and 6" back. This deminsion will be wide point demension. Now draw a LIGHT pencil line through these points. When you template you’ll have a good reference to the wp to center relationship. aloha, TW

Wide point has always been the widest point of the shape, with the shapers I’ve known man, there’s no question - We speak of -“Wide point 2 inches back from centre” …Etc http://www.speedneedle.com.au

2"s back,for what type of shape?

Man, that was a hypothetical example, but 1 to 2 & 1/2 inches back from centre is about standard for a shortboard, thruster of 6’ to 7’ . It really is’nt that much of a big revelation to work it out for yourself, but as a loose rule of thumb, forward of centre equals drive but stiff, back of centre equals loose but not so drivey…Look at the outlines, say, of a classic 70’s board, a Diffenderfer Gun or a Lopez, and see what they were doing on them, now, look at a modern 6’2" small wave board… http://www.speedneedle.com.au

i think there is confusion because different shapers have different “standards”. on a “typical” set of dimensions, you can have: nose width x mid-point width x tail width. the same 3 dimensions might be interpreted by someone else as being : nose width x wide point width x tail width. there are respected shapers who totally disagree on whether the “width dimension” should be wide point width or mid-point width. it can be the same deal with board “length” too. is it tip to tail length ? or is it true rocker length ?? i bet there have been shapers and apprentices who have slugged it out over these issues. do any of you veteran’s have an opinion on what is more commonly used ? (center -vs- wide point, and tip to tail -vs- bottom length ?)

For me the width is the widest point of the board,whether 2" behind center,or 6" up.For length,if the board is to be a 6’6", I bottom measure to 6’6"&3/8 or so to compensate for the bottom curve.TedK.