Wood Keel Fin Project (Help)

Wood + G10 works to.

[img_assist|nid=1062206|title=Fin-ished|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=251|height=251]

I’m glassing these up and hoping that the second set comes out better! Thanks for the tips, the help, and the support. Any tips for glassing? Thanks again!

Quick question. Fins that have minor imperfections in the foil, like slight dip or bladed out more in one are than the other not at tip but in the mid region of fin, but nothing major. How much will it affect the ride, speaking about these keel fins specifically… thicker, larger base, etc. Once they are glassed I feel it shouldnt matter to much sense it is more of a pivot point vs. a raked machine. Let me know your thoughts.

buy a pair of larrys fins (you have a probox tab on those) and try yours then try his. you will feel the difference!

Those tabs are getting cut off… its just so i can vice them. I have gepharts, I am not sure I understand the skill of making so many perfect fins all the same, its hard becuase one second you like them and the next second you accidentally messed something up. I understand in dynamics but at the same time I have seen some busted fins surf okay, I was just looking for a take on going for it with imperfect fins or making fins until they are perfect. Have you ever glassed on fins that didnt look to sweet? What was the result? Thanks.

poorly foiled fins will be very noticable. of course you can still ride a wave with them but you will notice a significant difference in drag. fiberglass foils much more evenly than wood so you can put extra glass on those to fill in the low spots and give them a once over with the grinder to smooth it out. you are right you will notice a bad foil a lot easier on a more high performance fin (as opposed to a keel) so you do have that going for you.

Good idea! I might just try to add a little cloth patch a shallow spot i was concerned about then hand sand it. Thanks.

they look good, nice work ! could you take a picture of the underside so i can see the foil, i love fins and seeing everyone’s; not as much as chippy though :smiley:

[img_assist|nid=1062396|title=Glassed Fin|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=308|height=230]

How should I glass the fins? Is just 4oz with lam resin okay? Then let
the glasser hot coat them? or should I do two coats pre glass house? Any
glassing tips, both sides at same time or one side at a time? Will the
hot coat cover any post sanding exposed wood? Thanks.

It wouldn't hurt to laminate at least a few layers of cloth on each side with maybe strands or rope along the edges (between the glass on each side.)  It's a rare board that doesn't have some dings in the leading edges of the fins and it's a rare wood-core fin that doesn't eventually start sucking up water.  My take is that you shouldn't have ANY exposed wood to be sealed with a hotcoat although the glasser would likely lay some cloth over the wood anyway.  He will also likely get most warbles straightened out when sanding the fins.... if you're worried about drag from foil warbles, you'd be better off leaving your leash at home.

double post deleted.

[img_assist|nid=1062538|title=Single Foil|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=430|height=430]

I found the single foil was much easier to achieve a clean foil, it allows for mistakes to be made and corrected where the double foil once you go through to many plys you are screwed. Plus I bought a orbital sander which is okay, I think I will get a grinder as well. I was kind of bummed this piece of wood was so flawed, but my fins building is improving. Thanks for the help!!! Any more tips would be cool, especially fin glassing tips!

[img_assist|nid=1062911|title=glass|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=368|height=368]

[img_assist|nid=1062912|title=board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=368|height=368]

I hope that they are a good match, If not I’ll bust them off and make new ones…

Just remember, one man’s flaw is another man’s masterpiece. It’s looking pretty bloody nice to me.

[img_assist|nid=1063096|title=fins on|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=399|height=399]

These came out perfect!

looks great john!!!