Wood-stoked!

Yesterday was Shaperoom.net’s first edition of “Wood-stoked”, a get-together of people who own or shape any kind of wooden surfboard, be it chambered, compsand or even “false”.

Site members met on the beach at Capbreton (just south of Hossegor) and were greeted and hosted by local Santosha Surf Club.

Technical discussions, some fun surfing in average waist-high waves, McFly changing from webmaster into BBquemaster, everyone tasting (and appreciating) PierreB’s home-brewed bier and basically having a good time with great boards and fine weather.

Here are some photos of the event:

This fine table was handcrafted by Jaqou. In the background is a 1950 hollow balsa vintage. In the foreground, a balsa stubby by Beni.

This great compsand longboard gun was shaped by Jeffrey:

PierreK (who posts here regularly) is responsible for this compsand fish:

That’s me, feeling the incredible lightness of Jeffrey’s board.

Er… I think you know this one, already…

“See that thing over there? It’s called a “fin”…”

…That sounds and looks great …thanks for posting those shots , Bill !

I would love to read a performance report of that stubbie wood single fin [YES !!! well done!] of Beni’s , as it seems no-one here rides them [or at least writes about it , if they do …]

cheers

ben

Hey mate, stop pointing at boards and get in those waves in the background! Nice waves by the looks of it.

Oh… the boards are OK i guess :slight_smile: haha nah that fish is amazing.

L

PierreB and others have some photos, too, that they will post when they have time. Even some SURFING shots, Lavz…

" Hey mate, stop pointing at boards and get in those waves in the background! Nice waves by the looks of it."

" Hey mate, stop pointing at boards and get in those waves in the background! "…

are you SERIOUS Ant ??!!

you mean , actually stop talking about boards , and go SURF them ??

well, I’ll be …

THERE’S a novel approach to things ?!

I thought we all just came here to PRETEND we surf …

ben

(…jokes okay, stress-headers… )

come ON , chipper ! we all know you and “Ralph Fletcher” are just jealous because you can’t rip on a Bic like LeeDD does.

OK, here goes:

McFly, about to hit a powerful backside bottom turn in a wave of consequence…

Beni, riding a home-made fish (made of foam)

nice boats …

any idea of their gps speed reading , please , Bill ?

PierreB, testing Jeffrey’s latest creation:

Lots of wood… Enough to lit up the bbque!

McFly, cook, not “kook”…

Jaqou brought his very fine self-made wooden-board table and a great looking 4-stringers self-made longboard, too:

1. gps readings on the sailing boats

2. the launches , …what were the dimensions on them , and the fin setup , please ?

3. is that a ciggie in mcfly’s right hand , at the barby ??

4. where’s the REST of the meat ?? that grill looks empty !

5. where’s photos of the beer

6. WHERE are all these french girls you are always telling me about lounging on your beaches

7. where was LOB ???

…and HIS wood wide stringer on his fish ?

all for now …

Balsa and PierreB discussing new “eco-friendly” construction methods, as developped by Jeffrey and PierreB (XPS core, covered with wood and “varnished” with a micro-porous epoxy resin that stops water but not air: thus XPS gas may go through the wood skin and out into the air, allegedly suppressing delamination problems associated with XPS):

PierreB, running to the nose…

“Totor”, in full trim:

Quote:
  1. gps readings on the sailing boats

2. the launches , …what were the dimensions on them , and the fin setup , please ?

3. is that a ciggie in mcfly’s right hand , at the barby ??

4. where’s the REST of the meat ?? that grill looks empty !

5. where’s photos of the beer

6. WHERE are all these french girls you are always telling me about lounging on your beaches

7. where was LOB ???

…and HIS wood wide stringer on his fish ?

all for now …

1. Nice sailboat in the background, but not much wind (good for us !)

4 & 5. I had brought about 20 liters of home brewed all-grain beer (irish stout and a bitter ale) : it was kept indoor to keep it cold !!! We didn’t drink and eat that much though as we spent quite some time in the water and most of us had a long drive back home (over 100 km)

1. LOB apparently couldn’t make it (it was father’s day and only a few showed up)

Well, many reasons why I couldn’t make it:

• Father’s day was there.

• had boards to shape

• my balsa fish was not ready yet

• petrol gets soooo expensive

• and so on…

The more I get old and the more I can’t do all the things I want at the same time.

I need 48 hours long days and 12 days long weeks.

Looks like a great happening! And nice boards, too!

Makes me remember the good days I had in Santosha and La Piste.

Keep the spirit

Zimmi

Quote:

Given that I’m quite a few years older than Lob, I reckon I should need AT LEAST 72 hours a day and 15 days a week…

Quote:
Quote:

Given that I’m quite a few years older than Lob, I reckon I should need AT LEAST 72 hours a day and 15 days a week…

Ishould have thought way more than this… considering how slowly you can move yourself !!!

…mumble-grumble groms… mumble-grumble respect nothing… mumble-grumble nowadays…

http://www.surfdesigner.com/gremmie.wav