wooddddd

i was looking in the archives for this, but nothing dead on. just wanted to get an idea of some woods to use for blocks. here is what i might use: basswood, spruce, mahogany, cedar, redwood, oaks, cherry, and zebra??? do all of these sound ok??? any more to add? poplar?

i was looking in the archives for this, but nothing dead on. just wanted > to get an idea of some woods to use for blocks. here is what i might use: > basswood, spruce, mahogany, cedar, redwood, oaks, cherry, and zebra??? do > all of these sound ok??? any more to add? poplar? …Watchout,some woods contain too much oil,and won’t even allow the resin to cure/dry.Oak,cherry,and zebra,I would test first,these contain higher levels of natural oils,and may or may not bond,they should be okay,just make sure that the wood is aged,and dry.Herb

…Watchout,some woods contain too much oil,and won’t even allow the > resin to cure/dry.Oak,cherry,and zebra,I would test first,these contain > higher levels of natural oils,and may or may not bond,they should be > okay,just make sure that the wood is aged,and dry.Herb …I made a set of Zebra Wood fins (2+1) for a balsa I made a few years back…I used polyester resin with zero problems…They looked real cool. natural… Now, bubinga or padouk are too oily for polyester… They are ok for a day, but then the bond between the wood and resin breaks…Not pretty… Paul http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/

…I made a set of Zebra Wood fins (2+1) for a balsa I made a few years > back…I used polyester resin with zero problems…They looked real cool. > natural…>>> Now, bubinga or padouk are too oily for polyester… They are ok for a > day, but then the bond between the wood and resin breaks…Not pretty…>>> Paul …Add: no ebony,darker walnuts or ironwood either,these woods won’t even let the resin dry.Herb

…Add: no ebony,darker walnuts or ironwood either,these woods > won’t even let the resin dry.Herb Herb, I’ve used a nice color of walnut (about the same shade as a Hershey bar) for fins and it held the resin fine. Don’t know about the darker stuff but I was happy with how mine turned out!

Herb, I’ve used a nice color of walnut (about the same shade as a Hershey > bar) for fins and it held the resin fine. Don’t know about the darker > stuff but I was happy with how mine turned out! …Yeah,I’ve heard of guys making walnut whatevers with poly/glass coating and getting great results. …Wayne’s Rasta board(now on the stolen list,for over a year now)had some ebony and walnut nose and tail blocks on it,The glassers had a hard time getting the resin to even go off on the darn stuff,when it was finished,it looked beautiful for about a month or so just before it completely delammed.I replaced it with the commerically bought blocks of basswood,and mohog for him as a favor. …Wayne made the original blocks and insisted that they be put on against my better judgement…live and learn,I guess.Herb

Has anyone used purpleheart with polyester resin and did it work? Was planning on doing the blocks and some inlay. Thanks Patrick Shannon

For something different check out:http://www.kovalknives.com/Handle01.htm There are fin possabilities here too… http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/