wooden hollowbody project >>>

i decide to start a new post for my board project for i think old post’s subject was wrong and may don’t understand my willing… and I need your suggestions!

so the old referral is http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=172645;#172645

these the definitive project…

this is aproximative 3d : http://www.geocities.com/impactside/board1.3d.JPG

COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

With a domed deck, I assume you’re going for a strip planking approach. I’m into it right now and I warn you, it’s a lot of work : I’ve spent over 2 hours in order to cut, scarf, steam bend and glue my first two strips. Each strip being 1 cm wide, I still have about 118 left to do !!! Hopefully, once the rails are built, it’ll go faster. Maybe Patrick Shannon could help us here ?

I notice some “flip” at the end of your nose rocker. This could make things difficult, unless you built this part out of a nose block.

tnx replyin’me

your tips are usefull. for sure i think i put some accessory difficulties on,maybe probably i shall decide to semplify my nose.

i would be informed on your advancements… i bring on some pics from mine too at soon.

i planned to fit the rails at the end and fix them on site,maybe i’m wrong but i’m going first to put on deck and bottom.

what you think about my shape?

I can’t tell much about your shape, I’m more into heavy longboards than shortboards. In any case it looks good to me but you probably want the advice from some of the more experienced shapers around here.

actually i’m more involved with longboard, that’s the matter of my doubts!!!

however i wanna try this semi mid 70’s shape and single fin.

Hey Evil, have a look at this thread

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=156494;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;t=homepage;page=unread#unread

cheers

Hicksy

About the shape…

Yeah looks great mate! I like different shapes that are out there but still conventional! good too see your making a wooden hollow! im making mine at the moment too! its a 9ft6 hollow alaii/toothpick from pics of early Aussie surfboards, Im going finless!

Have Fun in constructing it,

Josh.

One thing you might want to do once you print your template or whatever is to check that you can bend the plywood to that shape easily. I burned myself on makinging an outline that the plywood didn’t conform to all that well. Only small adjustments can make a huge difference. Also the lines of the board will propably be smoother if you do this.

The diamond tail is a great idea, you can just lay the exterior rails to the edge of the diamond and add a tail block. This way you don’t have to bend the rails around a very curvy tail. I do think the nose is a little on the curvy side, but with bending ply and cork you can propably get away with it…

regards,

Håvard

i hope to get it well.

what do you think about poplar structure? it’s 400 kg/mc3 weight…

I no expert on wood , but IMHO a plywood will usually be stronger than pure wood since the layers reinforce parts of the wood where you may have weak spots in the grain. You can propably go up a little in dimensions with poplar and keep the same weight as plywood. If you can pick the wood with a nice uniform grain you can propably make it more than strong enough. I don’t know how well the poplar bends for the outline and how much springback it has. I think it’s used in snowboard cores so it may well have a strong springback. This may cause problems, Paul Jensen would know. Good luck.’

regards,

Håvard

,sure, i mean poplar plywood, i think it’s a bit heavier than redwood plywood per mc3

If it has a density of 400kg pr. cubic meter, that’s pretty low for regular wood and I think very low for plywood… Here is a table of different woods, densities and strength http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm

regards,

Håvard

Quote:

…plywood will usually be stronger than pure wood since the layers reinforce parts of the wood where you may have weak spots in the grain. You can propably go up a little in dimensions with poplar and keep the same weight as plywood. If you can pick the wood with a nice uniform grain you can propably make it more than strong enough. I don’t know how well the poplar bends for the outline and how much springback it has. I think it’s used in snowboard cores so it may well have a strong springback. This may cause problems …

Haavard said it, I second it…

Paul

so you think could it be a good wood too taste? it’s quite cheaper i know

suggestion about a functionally 70’s fin for my wood!

…@.@

…@…@…@@

…@@.@…@@

…@…@@

…@@… ò_ …@

…@@… /|…@@

@ @.@---- |---------,…@ @.@

@@ .@ @ -----------------'…@…@…@

@.@.@@@.@@…@ @ @…

@@@.@@…@…@@@…@…@…@@@@@.@ -CIAO-

@@@ @@.@…@@@.@ @ @@@@@…@… @

.@@…@