XPS IS HATED BY MANY HOWEVER AFTER 6 YEARS ITS STILL ALIVE!

Ken:

I was kidding Ken however I did think how I have to make the blank and shape the board plus the epoxy is pricey.

Come by some time and check out my man cave.

Kind regards,

surfding

Hi Mike:

The kids in our family do a lot of free diving.

San Clemente Island

Catalina

Tahiti

Sea of Cortez

Cabo

La Plaz

Some of the regular spots

Dorado (Mahi Mahi) are a bit larger in French Polynesia

However in Tahiti were we go the sharks are like dogs and try and eat your catch.

The kids fight them off while you try and bring them in.

I will look for a larger pic of my avatar.

(it came from the NINAMU web site)

Ninamu is were we go most.

Kind regards,

surfding

PM me if you want to buy one of my billets of XPS?

Hi Michael,

I found your avatar.  Wow, unreal colors. Thank you.  I’ll pm you about the xps.  The guy bringing the shark to the surface with slings is hard core.  Mike

shark.jpg

what the F,,, Who's the nut job playing with Tiger sharks?

one bad shot and your hosed,,,, cool pic

but ,,,ya ,,, kill first ask questions later,,haha

I’d say that’s some serious bad karma there.  Hawaiians consider sharks to be aumakua (ancestors).  Leave the alone, treat them with respect…

Looks like it was a gun fight too....3 spears in it.....Holy shit.

I guess the first one in the gills just pissed it off.

Yah, I’d like to hear the whole story.

'Cause that picture just isn’t cool.

Those same Hawaiians who consider sharks their relatives liked to inbreed too.  With all respect to Hawaiian culture I know their wrong on that one too.  Animals are animals, and in reality I hate rats. Some sharks taste good, even Whiteys, and given a choice I would prefer that to dogs, or pig.

That is a cool pic, that took more balls than I have.

XPS makes good surfboards when done by properly skilled craftsman.  X-Tune, Hydrofoam, SVF, I have made some good boards out of them through the years.

Around here some have been shaping xps just for fun for quite a while, pu-blanks are hard to get hold of and polyester resin smells too much to handle. XPS and epoxy good enough to play around with is sold everywhere. The foam blocks sold at reasonable prices are a bit too thin so the blank needs to be bent a bit during shaping to get the right rocker, while stringed up and bent one side gets hand laminated. Probably a log way from proper production but the result sure looks like a surfboard and people seems to have fun doing it.

Regarding XTR, I used to have one of those but it wasnt quite right for me so I sold it recently to fund something else. I think the issue was the shape, not the material. It was a custom and had biolos signature on it but it wasnt shaped for me orginally. Lesson learned? A bit of a no brainer: Buy custom but not someone elses custom, get your own.

G-rat,

I suspect there’s a bit of inbreeding going on in other parts of the good ol US of A, too.  But, what I want to know do you think a decent hobby guy that is not a craftsman yet can get good results laminating xps foam using traditional methods?

Some people think their ancestors reside in cattle, too. I won’t pretend to know, but hope mine are waiting for me in a bettor place with every dog that’s gone on before me.  I don’t debate religion or care what people believe (although I think it’s interesting), and I love animals and eat both shark, beef, and several other animals.

Ghettorat said it best!

Rooster with a few technique modifications extruded PS is a great choice for the hobbiest because it needs love and attention to be done well, and production guys sometimes are hurried or have a headache.  Problems are with its harder workability and its laminar shearing, as well as, it doesn’t take higher temps, but it rides insane and doesn’t soak water.  

llibel03: (Jeff)

Pease note that my kids don't shoot at sharks.

The photo of the shark kill is of a friend of my sons that had to kill this beast because it was preying on them. (SELF DEFENSE}

When the swell is non existant fishing is a fun thing to do.

When you consider the price of gas it's cheaper to just buy your fish.

However it's not as fun.

Back to XPS board building this afternoon.

Kind regards,

surfding

Killed it because it was preying on them?  That’s a story I’d love to hear over a couple of beers.  Mike

A couple more questions then if you guys don’t mind.  What do you mean by laminar shearing in regards to board building and do you recommend venting for home builders to avoid delams?  Mike

Leave is rough 60 grit forget the holes

Rooster, laminar shearing refers to the tearing of the interface at the point of contact between resin, cloth// blank.  By increasing contact area it can be for the most part eliminated.  Venting is something that works for Javier, but isn’t necessary if everything is done correctly, but is still a good insurance policy.  If surfding has material available it can definitely be worth the trouble to build.  Dow hasn’t been the best partner with the surfboard builders, and Javier has pretty much tried to control the good white stuff, and glassing, since to it takes a large order to make it and board builders such as myself don’t have the cash or space to put out $ for the minimum order.  Still I know the ins and outs about the stuff as well as anyone.  

Yeah surfding’s right finish them clean but rough, so contact area is increased.  That’s a great place to start.

Thanks guys.  Mike

How about this one, Blue XPS Salomon, great boards, damn they were light!!

This one was creased in sth Sumatra and repaired by the local jungle ding fixer.  He was adamant that stapling this palm frond material to the blank before glassing would make it really strong, haha!!