XPS source found

Just found a source of 8’ x 2’ x 1", 2", 3", or 4" Blue Dow Extruded polystyrene. 2.4 lb/cu ft.

http://pacificsupply.paccoast.com/default.asp?pageID=253

The website doesn’t go into much detail in the products section, but I wandered into one just 2 blocks from my office. They had all 4 thicknesses in stock. For one sheet at a time, I was quoted $29 for the 3" and $38 for the 4". I figure that going to 2.4 lb / cu ft from the 1 lb EPS, I can cut my glass & resin use by 40% at least. That means 1 layer bottoms and 2 layer decks, rather than 2’s and 3’s. On a $150 board, the resin & cloth cost is easily $120, so that means I spend $20 more on a blank but save $40 on other consumables.

Check the website. Looks like lots of locations in CA, HI, OR as well as CO, UT, MT.

Hey Benny,

We use some foam with really high compressive strength in the construction biz if you want to lighten on the glass schedule.

Problem is it’s not the kind of stuff you’re going to find at HD and usually we get it by the skid load when we do need it.

But if you call Dow and their sales people that handle the stuff they could tell you what distributors in your area have it in stock and you should be able to get it by the sheet.

http://dowbp-us-commercial.buildscape.com/items/detail/?bpid=417344&spid=460252&prodcatid=9565&from=cat&SID=16ea6b5a054df000ca72cf76f28fa46f

I used to use dow blue foam here in Oz but the blowing agent has been changed in Europe (which is where the Oz foam comes from) and the foam is 36% heavier as stated on their web page. My supplier here said it doesn’t matter, as the foam is not under the minimal weight, I guess not if it’s used for insulation. Does any one know who else manufactures XPS foam besides dow???

Benny,

Have you considered looking into getting a large block (39"x49"x97") of EDRO EPS direct from Insulfoams Dixon CA plant? Your profile says Marin so I’m assuming that your up in that area. You can get the foam in 1lb, 1.5, or 2lb density. PM me if youd like details of my experience trying to get it from them.

i'm cutting mine out like Pringles chips so i *hope* to get a few more. instead of cutting out another 6" (give or take for rocker) for every blank, i just have to drop my rocker templates down enough for the next one to "hug" the one above. so, 6" for the first blank, then like 3" or less for each blank after. i plan on using the whole block for a rocker table when i go to bag. when i started, i think i estimated $15 or less per blank if i was careful with block usage and depending on blank thickness... we had Insulfoam split the block into 4 pieces so, we each ended up with a 20" x 24" x 8' (1.5 lb foam) block for about $90. i cut my blanks with 20" widths because i figured the extra 4" might net another blank and, i was planning on adding 1" XPS rails from Home Cheapo and i don't anticipate ever needing more than a 22" wide board... i've cut 3 blanks from my block so far using a 6'2" rocker template. the first blank, i ran the nose and tail of the rocker template up above the block because i was planning on making a 5'6" so i saved a little that way... the one thing about cutting the blanks this way is that i can only be working on one rocker at a time unless i use stringers which i don't plan on doing. so, i've got 3 blanks with all the same rocker. i've got to get them finished and bag the bamboo on one at a time before i can cut a different rocker from my block. i kinda painted myself into a corner. i kinda wish i had just cut one at this rocker template because i'd like to get a gun knocked out before winter hits off. i'll have to hustle to get bamboo on these 3 then move on to the gun...

oooh, but, you've given me an idea... i can set these 3 blanks aside and cut a flat top on my block then cut a gun blank from that... i'll have my rocker bed for the first 3 blanks and will be starting fresh for the gun... i may lose a few dollars per blank but, still not bad... hmmm

[quote="$1"]

Benny,
Have you considered looking into getting a large block (39"x49"x97") of EDRO EPS direct from Insulfoams Dixon CA plant? Your profile says Marin so I'm assuming that your up in that area. You can get the foam in 1lb, 1.5, or 2lb density. PM me if youd like details of my experience trying to get it from them.

[/quote]

old thread but, for whoever is interested... i got together with a couple other Swaylockers and we got a block from these guys. it was pretty easy... 40" x 48" x 8' for like $360. i picked it up at their plant and they helped me load it. took cash too.

6" thick blank (considering rocker)…

12 8’ x 24" x 6" blanks per block…

36$ a blank? does that sound right, Chris?

the base of the rockerbed does not need to be thick…you just need something to bridge those nose/tail sections together if it all goes on a hard flat surface once bagged…

more pics, plz

[quote="$1"]

the base of the rockerbed does not need to be thick...you just need something to bridge those nose/tail sections together if it all goes on a hard flat surface once bagged...

more pics, plz

[/quote]

thanks, i was wondering how thick the base should be... do you think 1" is enough? i figure i can put the bed on a 20" wide piece of 8' plywood that i have from another project. after the board is in the bag, can i just lay it in the bed then put some weights on it and the ends of the bed to make sure everything is down flat/tight?... i'll start a thread and post some pics of my progress tomorrow from home. i have a bunch since i was planning on doing a photo thread anyways. i'm still worried that the whole thing might go down in flames but, Llilibell has given me courage posting his last fiasco. i found that very helpful even though it must have been painful for him... i've already had to put out a few fires. ha ha