Yelling at Stand Up Paddle KOOKS !

I see Sup losers as selfish wavehogs as guys who were riding the biggest longboards and have taken it even further into being carbuncles that need to be lanced. I have been yelling at these cretins for years due to all the above reasons and don’t give them any slack. Just keep burning them on waves is the only thing they understand, they can share along with everyone else, surf safely or there will be continued trouble. 

I saw Ray at his “secret spot” this afternoon catch a good one all the way from the back and all the way across ripping all the way through on a board he made it was like "Jeffreys Ray.  Just thought I would let you know that.  I was on a standup and caught a ton of apex set waves that the surfer’s out there weren’t even close to being in position for; if I would have been on a surfboard I would have caught the same waves maybe even more.  Not looking for respect- I don’t care I am out there to have fun and I let a boat load go right through and call out sets; for the most part people put up with me, and some say they enjoy it when I am on a standup.  I will ride what I want where I want when I want and always be respectful of everyone out there, but when people on surfboards become a-holes and push it I can shut them down.  Most of the barker’s can’t surf on anything anyways. Haters  don’t get it and most of you are scared of anything new.  I had a great time. 

From small beachbreaks to world class big wave spots like Mavericks and Hanalei, SUKs are the absolute worse thing that every happened to the lineup.  From wannabe’s to former apex surfers unwilling to accept the natural order, the bastion of the greedy and self-entitled.  Most with Pro Ho cameras mounted on the nose of their boats to capture all their bitchin wonderfulness.  Loathe and detest what they have done to lineups around the world.  J

well I just picked up a used one myself that I had been researching for awhile.

Its the biggest one I think I could manage being 12’6" and designed for flat water expedition paddling.

It’s my personal SUP’rs nightmare being at least two foot longer than most of the largest SUPs in the water

enough to giver them a bit of their medicine should I ever want to do that

and while it is already pre-drilled for strapping down things like a cooler, or fishing gear, an anchor, your paddle or even heaven for bid a shortboard to take to the outside reefs where it belongs. It was also shaped by the Mongoose himself who knows a bit about how to make such parge craft surf allot smaller.

In fact if you remember back when it was Cravenalu experimenting on his 12’ Munoz at pinballs at waimea and other northshore spots like haleiwa doing his best monkey face impersonations that led to the formation of Paddle Surf Hawaii on of the premier SUP brands of previous years.

So yah if required I’ll just go home and come back with this 12’6" and run over every SUP that doesn’t know how to get out of the way.

In fact that’s probably how to deal with it, just drop in and go on any wave you want whether a beginner or hogh cheese on a longboard or SUP is taking off. My brother does it to the best of them when he’s surfing his home spot.

SUP KILLER or, OK who’s got the big board now kuk? (oops maybe that’s ambrose from what I remember)

Make a poll amoungst surfers.

Ask how do you feel about the SUP crowd.

Most would say they have no business being out there with the surfers.

Some guys can actually surf them.

Those guys understand the surf etiquette.

MOST do not.

They did this to themselves.

I vote nay.

I’m in the majority.

**Take back the lineup!**

**Check out the link to Skip Frye just "gliding" along with mucho soul.  **http://vimeo.com/28242799

**Many have not paid their dues and learned the rules of the line up and bigger yet let some go by.**

**Yell at the bozos, and let 'em know the rules and if they mess with the women and kids, "BUST Da FINS"!**

Dangerous kuks are dangerous kuks. Before SUPs it was kuks on longboards with the same agenda. Now they’re pissed because theyve been one uped with the new fad and bested at theyre own game.I love the irony. I don’t begrudge anyone their fun. But, yah gottta take care of the kids so they will grow up to be dropping in on us after awhile. Mike

Rumors fly on land just as fast as on the internet…I left a few things out of my first post…and if you were in Carlsbad Monday 1-20-14  Mid morning you might want to know the real story…The Man yelling at SUP surfers was me. Stingray. The kid with the gash on the side of his head was hit buy a surfboard not a SUP…here’s what happened from my point of view…

It’s around 9:00 am. Lot’s of people in the water. I’m on the sand streching. There’s a tangle in the white water near the shore. A man with his 10 year old son take off their leashes and leave their boards behind. The man says he needs to get his son to the hospital and shows me the gash. Boy is dazed but mellow. Blood, white meat. Dad is freaking out. Dad takes kid up the path to Coast Hwy. I grab dads board and take it up the hill. Another local grabs son’s board. People hanging out up top see the kid. Some are school teachers. Towels come out to stop the bleeding. Dad wants to rush to hospital. Locals call 911. The local crew and the school teachers calm down the dad. I go back down to the beach and paddle out. …and then SUP Kook crashes through a pack of kids…the kid that got hit may have been hit by his own board. One grom thinks his board might have hit the kid. Good honest kids…I was caught up in the moment… I will look out for our kids. 40 year old bullys on oversized surfboards suck.

Hey Ghetto…I’m so stoked on that last set wave!    walked slow back to the car…right leg is hurting pretty bad…ran into two kids involved in Mondays nonsense. They joke with me because there were no SUP’s out…ha, ha…only Ghetto but he was about 200 yards down and way out the back looking for rouge waves.

Ray

it takes time for fruit to ripen

wine to come of age

people to come to

a clear understanding.

Casting assumed divisive comments and character assinations

as well as defensive replies to personal attacks on equiptment choices 

have been going on since the begining of time.Logs>planks>foamies>

kayaks>outriggers>Traditional canoes>polyethelene rubber duckys

Chinese junk>Barquentines> J-boats>Clipper Ships>Frigates>Paddle Wheelers

every design has  its optimum moment in history and in the hands of a competent pilot

their glory will be fully realized.As a student of the polynesian water arts

and having started studying the stand up since 1977 I wait patiently for the 

participent buldge brought on by mass marketing of the stand paddling discipline

to settle out.The NATURAL push back to the onslought of ‘slow to comprehend’

entry level players is the specific responsibility of competent stand up paddlers.

I HAVE OPTED OUT of being a ‘player’ in fad stand up wave riding with a paddle.

Hater shmater the voice of those producing and promoting the stand-up

proliferation cannot  tacitly condone the misuse of their product by standing off 

and letting abuse take place without expecting blowback.

Cowboy -up and say something to the doctors and lawyers

who SUPport the INDUSTRY - niche to stop the abuse 

or the blowback will be ‘hell to pay’ an ounce of prevention

will cure the problem.

started stand paddling in the year 2000?

you should understand better my perspective by

1. Some day we will all get our due

plan to reap what you sow

poor equiptment choices

poor perspective choices will tend

to bite you in the

derriere.

…ambrose…

dairy air - cow farts

overspecialization

breeds a narrow

conncept of the world.

YOU ARE THE BOX.

Ray,

In the past 2 weeks I have been run over by a Kayak, a couple on a tandem surfboard, and a few SUP’s. I’m waiting for a clown to show up on stilts surfing a Alexander Gemini Stand up, quad, jet ski?

Everybody needs to know rules and boundarys.  Surfers that don’t have boundarys, and are selfish are dealt with quickly at my home break.   No one needs to be called F%$#ers or called out, all you need to do is pull them aside and talk sense.  If they don’t respond, then you can make there surfing experience a torture experience. When they don’t respone, thats when they get buried, dropped in on, pinched, leash pulled,etc.  I keep a 9’10 x 23 x 4 longboard on hand to teach lessons in ettiquette for those who don’t get it verbally.

Good on you for trying to keep some form of humainty in surfing

I have a heavy old 9’4 Crestwood that I keep handy for the same purpose. I call it the Kukbuster.

The SUP’s between Kaisers and Ala Moana are pretty good blokes…#3’s kinda brutal…the bad part is that there will only be more and more in the future…With the 10-4…when appropriate, I call em off…

I was…no leashes…no kooks…and if you got out of order…lmfao…you were dust !

heck,

i remember in hawaii if you were caught using a leash you were dust !

surfing has just gotten way toooo easy for everyone…that’s all…and if you think it’s bad now…wait…it’s only going to get worse.

I hear you on that proneman. #3s  gets unpleasant when it gets crowded, same with pops. 

I have met a bunch of the guys at Whiteplains that SUP, and they are doing some pretty badass moves. They are always pretty friendly good guys. Alot of them are pretty much on a smaller sup, and not the big tankers.

As some guys previously mentioned it is the takers not the givers, the guys that take every wave regardless, and the clueless regardless what they are on. I used to paddle out there with my 10’ x23"x 3.5", and could probably catch more waves then a SUP, but I would sit back try and make sure everyone in front of me gets an attempt at a wave, then go. I could catch a seal fart on that thing:)

how about this for a title," NO BOZO NO-NOs".

herb

there used to be a process you had to go through before you were allowed into the line up.

You kind of had to earn your way into the line up or get chase into the beach.

For with no chord it was as simple as taking your board away and pushing it in with the whitewater making you swim in.

The chord ruined allot of that but also the “process” disappeared over time.

In some places like pipe and other heavily regulated spots like makaha and others it still exists.

that meant it usually it involved starting off with something small like a foam board or paipo or longboarding close to shore with a tanker way inside the main break.

Since there was no chord you normally would have to have the ability and confidence to swim in to shore from where ever you where to retrieve your board before you would feel comfortable progressing further and further out.

And in most cases you would have to swim as you would inevidably wipe out unless your were gifted or ultra careful.

In those days you would do everything possible not to wipe out even if it meant hanging onto your board by the fin or with your legs wrapped around it while going over the falls.

the chord created a different mentality.

a careless mentality that has moved into the actually act of surfing itself

people who are dangerous need to be told that they are and asked to leave or at least move to where they won’t hurt another. could be just 25-30 yards down the beach but usually there’s enough waves in enough places to accomodate those trying to master their craft.

For the rest its mostly about greed

about not caring about anyone else except yourself

and since no one has the right to any wave in the ocean no matter what they think

then its just a matter of teaching them the long lost art of sharing again

even if that means dropping in on them on every wave they catch and making them go straight to the beach sharing the wave until they get the message

if they don’t like it they can go elsewhere until the figure out it not just all about them

they still are catching waves in any case 

they just have to go straight not left or right

in some places they call this blocking

allot of us old timers will do this to help out a newbie, young one or girl/ady who just isn’t getting the respect or a chance to catch a wave

because of the greedy ones

because everyone deserves a chance to ride a wave of their own sooner or later

and the greedy ones can just go straight until they understand that

sometimes cutting a cord or asking for a chord is done by an elder and the board is sent to shore like the old days

making the dangerous one or greedy one learn to discover their swimming prowsess again

but I’ve only seen that happen on special occasions these days

The other day a young marine driving a bulldozer ran over and killed a fellow marine sleeping on the ground during night maneuvers

I don’t think that marine in the bulldozer will ever be the same again

I think those careless and or greedy who do the same in the lineup should experience the same feeling of guilt as that marine

life is a learning experience

double

Well it’s all been covered above - it’s frustrating to have to deal with this bullshit when you’re just trying to have a good time at something you love. My experience - it’s not the equipment - it’s the person - either ignorant or desperate to prove himself. My opinion - they need to be talked with - low key at first - and turn up the volume from multiple voices if necessary.

I’m a mellow guy. I don’t get into fights. I don’t have big biceps. Speaking gently at a low volume to a SUP Kook? Really? I bet you have unicorns and butterflys at your local break.

It’s not the craft. It’s the KOOK behind the wheel…or KUK…I think Kuk means poop.

Kukae - Excreta, dung, feces