Your thoughts on my Mini-Gun design

Haha, I am also at high risk of belly-bumping the boards.

I got used to moving the boards 30-45cm (12-18")  back and forth to work and walk around the free end.

It would be interesting to consider some sort of sliding mechanism so the board can stay the same way on the stands and the whole of the stands moves +/- 45cm.

Did the stringer glue-up yesterday evening with the helping hands of a buddy. The fast setting PU glue ist hard to handle fast enough with only two hands.

Started shaping this morning.

• outline routed

• brought the thickness down with the planer and trued everything up

• shaped the Vee bottom. Slightly rolled Vee (1/6 inch = 4mm) first third of the board. Into slightly less Vee in the middle (1/12 inch = 2mm) , into bit deeper Vee through the fins (1/6inch = 4mm) and running out into only very slight Vee/nearly flat behind the centerfin.

• primary railbands bottom

• primary railband deck

Time for a coffee now, my ears are getting hot under the noise protection headphones…

While your outline, and banding work is quite good (boardering on exceptional) all that ‘‘V’’ activity will only insure that your board will not live up to its speed potential.      Do you remember that you intended to keep it simple?    Whatever you settle on, it will be a learning experience for you.

Thank you for your answer.

I sticked to what I described in my first post, but did even less of a Vee. I got the impression nobody steered me away from that bottom design, so I went for it.

Maybe I missed something or missunderstood you. I thought you said “Keeping it simple and the slight Vee throughout” would be ok.

What I did:

Slight Vee throughout, nearly 3/16inch  (4mm) in the front, appr. 1/8 inch (2.5mm) in the middle, nearly 3/16inch (4mm) through the fins, running into nearly flat in the end.

I know, Vee lets the board sit deeper in the water and slows it down. I thought most of the waves I will use that board in will have enough power to not need any lift of concaves.

And I have never surfed a Vee bottom and want to try it.

I didn´t go for full flat in the middle, to keep the railrocker flowing continuosly.

Hence the reduced Vee to have a nearly flat (fast) bottom under the front foot.

Is this stupid ? What would you have suggested  (full flat bottom ?) ?

edit: clarification on the fractals of an inch. Thank you jrandy for helping me out.

Secondary railbands

• Rails blended in, kept a flat deck with bevels. I like flat decks for comfortably paddling and I like th look of the bevels.

• Finbox reinforcement

• Box placement: I plan to set the finbox 5.5 inches from tail. And use a long 10.5

I checked with some of my 8-9 inch fins by laying them on the side and position them till 30% of the fins sticks over the rail. I think I´ve read that from Bill Thrailkill in of the threads in the archive. Those fins will most likely be sositioned 6-7 inches from the tail. Enough room to move them up or down with the box 5.5 from tail.

The long box will give me some room to experiment. And I think in smaller (chesthigh maybe) surf this could be fun with a single fin far up front.

The tailrocker has not to much flip, no problem to blend the long box into thetail rocker.

There is a rocker shot further down…

Comments on the finbox placement 5.5 from tail ? O.k. or not ?

Hey MiWie. Personally I think you’ll probably be very happy with the V you’ve put in once you surf your board in decent waves. As an average surfer I’d always be happy to trade extra speed for the control, smoothness and reassurance that V will offer in bigger waves. And the bigger the waves get, the more pronounced these positive aspects will become. Which in turn will give more confidence in the board and your ability in these sorts of conditions.

Thank you RDM.

Sounds as if the bottom could suit me well.

I think I will need all the control an smootheness I can get from that board.

I´m looking forward for the first rides. Will be a whole new experience and different to what I have ridden till now. (which is part of the fun for me)

Looking at the outline picture…

Isn´t it strange how the outline looks asymmetric, because the lighting (living room) shows the right bevel, but hides the left one.

(it´s absolutely symmetric, checked it with a shapers square)

I think it looks great.  If it were me, I might go about as far back as I could with the box install.  If it comes down to it, you could install side plugs and use it as a 2+1 at some point down the road.  

I also like the side support mini-stringers alongside the box.

Yes, that is what I had in mind.

I´m waiting for the 5° finboxes to arrive (ordered from USA, takes usually 2 weeks to germany).

I want to try different single and 2+1 setups.

One of those 2+1 setups is a self foiled finset inspired by Neal Purchase Jr. 2+1 fins. Which is nearly half way to a thruster with the 6.1/6 center and 4.1/4 side fins.

http://nealpurchasedesigns.blogspot.com/2011/06/21fun_05.html

This setup will have the centerfin quite close to the tail.

I also have a slender 9inch fin, a self foiled 8inch grenough 8A style fin and several 7inch self foiled fins (Bonzer, Duo etc) and a hand full of different sidebites/sidefins.

The 10.5 box will give me enough room to experiment.

I´ve set the box last night, a tad under 5.5 from the tail.

i do this all vee bottom on last “thick” guns and it seems to work fine. i also do it on my personal over volume (thick) fish to thinned rails and it work really well for me, seems to be a way to hide volume, with a bit more weight. i am a front foot surfer ride mostly fast beach breaks around hossegor for long time. At my level i don’t need all this volume a thin narrow rockered concave board should be good for my way of surf but there is the crowd, if i want to contest waves i need paddle power, i.e. thicker,wider, flatter board, so i take waves but then it’s not so good so i try to hide this over volume : reduce tail width increase lift etc… last i try this full vee after making a monster gun 4" thick for a friend in which i put ton off rolled vee to thinner rail. remind me a maurice cole front vee i had when i was young. this fishy board is really overvolumed for me i ride it for 6 month in everything i go and nothing to reproach to it, in general i find something quickly to justify new one LOL.

That sounds good. I don´t mind to hide some volume in the middle either. I don´t need it in remote surfspots. But often I am at crowded spots and then I´m happy with a bit more volume.

Anyhow I´m very keen to try a Vee bottom and it will by far not be the last board I build myself.

I did 20 boards in 3 years just for myself. Experimenting and getting to know new things is a big fun for me.

My surfbuddies are happy, too. The often buy my used boards for what the materials are worth.

Simon Anderson posted on another site about this vee bottom board…  and choppy conditions.

[[{“fid”:“107986”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Now this my bradah is a real “Mini Gun”

Bottom

Shaped by a legend

Additional pics of Simon Anderson vee bottom… 

[[{“fid”:“108007”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Great, thank your for posting the pictures.

After you pointed me at Simon Anderson, I read his 2013 blog entry on his wintergun with Vee bottom.

https://simonandersonsurfboards.com/au/2013/05/22/winter-guns/

Very good information.

Thanks for the hints.

Thanks for the good shot of the fin setup. Very interesting.

Hard to judge the finsize from that angle.

I´d estimate the centerfin in the ballpark of 7" and sidefins something like 4.5" ?