1.5 oz Cloth For Board Building

I frequently use 1.5 oz cloth for ding repair and for over top of my laminates.  Its really thin but has a very tight weave and seems very strong.  I was wondering if anyone uses it in conjunction with 4 oz cloth to increase the strength of their high performance boards?  I would think that strategically adding a layer of this thin tight weave cloth would greatly improve the board’s strength while only adding a tiny amount of weight.  Perhaps underneeth of the traditional deck lamination on the deck side to strengthen the board under your feet and over top of the traditional 4 oz bottom to stiffen the board and make it more resistant to breaking.

Thoughts.

We used to use it under balsa skins and when we refinished older boards. Kind of a pain in the ass to work with.

As far as the oz’s and strength go;  Five oz. is available in standard widths.  But 2 oz.(1.5) is great for ding repair and making sure a repair or restoration is waterproof and smooth.

…there are no any premium fiberglass in that weight.

I glassed the hull of my latest HWS with 1.43 oz cloth from thayercraft.  I am not impressed with its impact resistance.  the deck got 2 layers over most of it, same impression.  the stomp areas got 3 layers with 2 of those at 45 degrees.  Still nto impressed and wound up with 3.7 oe cloth over those areas, and still had to do some reinforcement after a few dozen surfs.

I like the tight weave, most of the time, but it can be annoing to get bubbles from underneath, out.

My thinking is that a second layer of a tight weave cloth would be stronger and stiffer than simply going with a single layer of thicker cloth.

if you want to upgrade your glass go to aeroglass satin S airplane certified, start at around 2 oz. need to use industrial resin under tech even with lighter ones if you want bubble free and warp corner. with right resin improve noticeably fatigue strength and toughness. Cost a lot, way to much for surfers lol. for buckling strength H glass (hollow glass) is effective but hard to find. i move to thicker industry multiaxial, really cheap and tough for a bit more weight.