10-6 balsa glider, build thread

I purchased a 10-6 balsa wood blank, a pretty rare bird in my neck of the woods. Its old, the unconfirmed story is that it was made to order for Lance Carsen.

I appreciate any suggestions & advice, as this will be the largest board I will have shaped from scratch.

Right now my plan is to stick with the general shape & contours of the 9-6 that I just completed, as it works well for me. A little belly up front, pinched rails, with a bit of V out the tail. Pretty standard stuff. I will be chambering again.

My idea on the fin, which can change at any time, is to build a removable fin using basic carpentry no plastic fin box. It won’t really be adjustable, but I plan to make a few different fin shapes. Just this one for now tho. I wanted to build the fin first before I cut the board open for chambering.

Similar to my handcrafted leash anchor system, I’m hoping that if it works, I can refine it over time and iterations.

I envision it dropping in from the bottom, with a clip or peg on the top. Something like a tusk tenon, but the challenge will be to build it with a low enough profile you could step on it without any problems. So that will be my goal on this first attempt.

5 Likes

This looks great!! I’ve always wanted to do a wood surfboard. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

1 Like