100 foot faces !!!

Sounds like a good deal of fun. The design of the boards and the difficulties with finding spots reminds me of the early days of snowboarding-road blocks on the backroads!

A couple of quick thoughts:The transition from the nose and tail areas to the waist seems extreme for the length of the board. Inorder to reverse the camber in turns and take advantage of the waist the board would have to be very flexable. Which in turn might explain why your flexy board was faster and why it broke. Perhaps less waist and more length might be worth looking at. Also, the boards appear to be rockered like a surfboard. Skiis and snowboards have reverse rocker in the middle much like some skateboards. They don’t rest on the snow until weighted. Again this might help by reducing the need for the deep waist cutouts thereby enabling one to take advantage of the flex without breaking the board.

In any case, just some thoughts. Hope they are of some use. By the way, thanks for inspiring me to get out skiing one last time. I was going to pack the boards away for the year. Take care.

Since this thread has branched into alternative activities I thought it would be a good time to introduce Slingboard Sports and The Zero-Impact Slingboard ride system. www.slingboards.com. (Bert, we met at the Surf Expo) The system is a complete engineered ride system that allows the rider to train for primary Action Sports or experience the thrill of manuevers found in areas without many choices. The system is designed as an anytime anywhere ride system. It is not restricted by environment , geography, or skill level. It was developed by our company who has 25 + years experience in Surf, Skate, and Wake and the skills to back it up. It is not intended to replace any existing activity , (so all your purist relax). It is designed as a “Zero-Impact” Training system that will work you and keep you “on” when other sessions can’t be had. It is also intended as an activity for those who are not blessed with living on the beach, lake or slope. We have already prototyped the virtual reality system which will engage the rider in a 3-d immersable enviroment of his choice. (imagine actually riding and controlling software based, Pro surfer, or underground video games as well as real video based footage)The ride system will launch in early summer and is being distributed Globally as a Standalone ride system (business opp) or as an offering for camps, shops, amusements, parks , community organizations, etc. The Virtual Reality system will follow in the fall/early winter. I know some of you have something similar hanging on a tree, the ride system is a completely engineered system with indoor , outdoor and mobile mounts available. Composite boards, Stainless load rated hardware, powder coated steel structures, custom binding device, and more. 2 years of testing and it keeps getting bigger and better. So check it out, it’s coming soon, International manufacturing and distribution, the interest has been great.

sure do miss real dunes …

maybe i need to get a sling from nick …

i could imagine florida with extended flat spells , flat land , and miles from the snow ,would be the perfect breeding ground for something you could keep your board skills tuned on without leaving your back yard …

i was back in west oz recently , even tho i was hell busy , the only thing on my mind was getting back on some banking, twisty runs …

before i left west oz to move to QLD i gave about a dozen sandboards to friends ,the guys who brought them and were my regular sand boarding buddies …

so a quick call and we had a posse together …

heres a few pics …

my 7 year old banking of a long section …

my mate , rocky , 43 and still boosting …

was in the first generation of pipe and pool skaters , still skates , so dam well …when we go to the skate park , all the kids stop , just to watch the “old skooler” …

and heres the pic that got away , half a second earlier he was above the horison , so disappointed i clicked to late …you can still see the trail of sand through the air …

hey patrick …

yea have tried a real variety of curves …the one pictured above has reverse rocker …

there much like surfboards , different rockers , different outlines and different flex suit different conditions …

the reverse rockered drawn outline ones , were slower and did long arcs ,but had way more hold and control , they were good for long open straight runs …

in the winding, twisting runs where your banking off small sections and doing tight turns , the rockered ones with the narrow waist were way faster through turns and didnt rail grab …

also found a very interesting similarity to surfboards , having to do with surface area and body weight …

if you dont have enough area , you sink into the sand and it slows you down , as the surface area increased for me they went faster and faster …

but when the kids rode some of the bigger boards it was the opposite , as they rode progressivly bigger boards they went slower and slower because of surface friction …

so everyone had a prefered board based on there size …

my son reckons QLD needs another theme park …

DUNE WOLRD …

i know i would go …

regards

BERT

Bert,

Opps! My mistake. After reviewing the first picture you posted I noticed the bottom board does have camber. So much for the blind guys thoughts.

Thanks for the photos. The slightly dark photo gives the sand a sugar appearance. Must make for an interesting meditative moment just before the last run of the day. Certainly must be better for the kids than closing time at a theme park.

Take care and don’t fall.

Patrick

Quote:
waxing isnt that much of a drama , i usually wax while walking back up the hill ...

i do want to try mr sheen as well . it should work …

I missed this thread the first time around…brought back a few memories to about 1979-1981…the old “Action Now” magazine that mutated out of “Skateboarder” (U.S.)…made a few sandboards out of various materials which, in retrospect with the knowledge of snowboards which hardly existed back then, were too thick and too narrow. Had some good results with formica sheeting glued to the bottom, and also used hard shell car wax on the bottom for slickness. Like Bert wrote earlier (I think) varnished wood was horrible. Experimented with “keel fins” made from galvanized metal tacked on the sides of the too-thick boards to minimize sliding out. Carpeted the deck for traction. I moved on to other worlds and my Dad used the last thrashed board to walk across a muddy stetch of yard under an avocado tree. There is a small piece left, mostly formica and metal fin bits…it shows up like the Loch Ness monster at the darndest times…