12' board

I found this board a few days ago in a basement of a house in Georgia. I have a lake house and thought it would be fun for my daughter. But I’ve been trying to find some information about it because it has no markings on it whatsoever. From what i can tell, and i know nothing, but it looks like it was perhaps built from the Tom Blake Popular Mechanics article. There is no plug. Its 145 inches long and 22 inches wide. Anyone know anything about something like this?

Even though your photo is upside down, I think you may be correct in guessing it’s a home made baord.

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/1937_BlakeHollow_PopMech_Jul_p114_117.html

I agree about the outline. It appears to be faithful to the Tom Blake Plans, published in POPULAR MECHANICS, in 1937. When I was in High School, several students built paddle boards, from the Blake plans.

Looks indeed Blake-ish
There was a good thread on the Tree to Sea forum with various old plans. I cannot vouch for the level of spam on that forum so viewers beware.
http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=881
Here are one set of the plans and the 13’9" I built from them.

the problem with the pic is that a 1.04 MB file is way bigger than needed to post here, and it gets wonky. Here it is re-sized to 149 KB

Thanks to you all for your insight. It looks like it has some age to it and it was remarkably well done.

This is a modern board made from old plans. I’m glad these plans still exist. 60 years ago my dad pushed me into a wave at the Seal Beach Little Jetty and I stood up for the first time and as my late dad would say; “rode the green”. It was on a 10’+ Blake board that he had bought in high school before the war (WW2). My dad had glassed on a primitive balsa skeg that could not really be called a fin, and I was able to angle it a bit. Every once in a while I see someone “riding the green” with a parallel stance and it takes me back to those much simpler days when all we cared about was riding a wave with friends…

Mr. Thrailkill, thank you for your expertise. It seems that I’ve come across your name more than once in my investigation. I bought this board at an estate sale. The only one I’ve ever been to. I don’t even know why I stopped there. I paid 50 bucks for it. What would you consider it’s value to be. Again, thank you.

Aloha Jeep,
At fifty dollars, you REALLY scored! I’ve seen some ‘‘no name’’ home made paddle boards, in marginal condition, sell in the $250 +/- range. Condition on yours look to be excellent. I think it’s an easy $400 plus dollar value. Perhaps more, to a strongly motivated buyer. If Tom Blake made it, it could be $10,000 dollars, or more. Quite a nice find.

That’s awesome. I wish Mr. Blake, and from what I’ve read, he seemed like an incredible individual, had made this thing. I would never even think of selling something he made.

THanks for your awesome story. I bought this board at an estate sale where a rather elderly gentleman had passed. I assume that this board is probably from the 1970’s, considering the age of the gentleman that made it. At least I assume that he made it.

Google Brian Bent if you want to see one in action.

Thanks dude, that is cool. All along I’ve been thinking this thing was like one of those SUP paddle board’s. I’ve really been learning a lot about the surfing lifestyle.

Thank you.