1963 North Shore Gun

‘‘Back in the day,’’ as the expression goes, that 1963 board was the third big wave gun I’d ever made. The first one was 9’ 6’‘, the second one was 9’ 10’'. The 1963 board was created after considerable discussion with the likes of Del Cannon, Jim Fisher, and Alan Nelson. all regulars in the lineup at WindanSea. They were easily available to me. While I did not have any discussions with Pat Curren, also a regular at WindanSea, he was certainly an influence. All the above mentioned were on the cutting edge of big wave surfboard development, at that time. After absorbing all the input, I applied the information to the creation of that 1963 gun. That particular board while good looking in appearance, was even more dramatic as a performer! That board was easily the fastest gun on the North Shore, that winter. Both Tiger Espere, and Kealoha Kiao, would frequently borrow my board, on bigger days at Sunset. Well, that board is long gone now, but a request has been made for me to re-create it. Right on down to the 4 inch wide RW/Balsa bundle stringer, and the thick foiled Black Walnut fin, of the original board. That was my one board quiver that winter, in everything from Chun’s, to Pipe, to Velzyland, Sunset and Waimea, and especially giant Laniakea. What a wave that is. No question, it’s the fastest wave on the North Shore. That board did it all, and it allowed me to do it too. I truly regret selling that board, when I came back to the mainland. Soon I’ll be able to say, ‘‘It’s baaackkk!’’

It sounds bad ass, I hope you post a few pictures.

It was bad ass. When compared to other boards of that era, it looked like a spaceship! The mandarin red color with a black comp band, and a thick foiled reverse gun fin, 6 inches deep with a 10 inch base, really set the board apart visually. 10’ 5’’ long, by 21.5 inches wide, to a 4 inch square tail. The 4 inch square influenced by Pat Currern’s designs, all worked together to give the board a striking appearance. While I never measured the rocker,( nobody did then) the board had a low rocker by todays standards. Probably 4 inches nose, and 3 inches tail. The remake will most likely be 5 inch nose, and 3 inch tail. Still a lower rocker profile than most similar boards today.

Sounds like a project and a half!!!

Can’t wait to see it!!!

Well the blank has been in, and curing, for the past two weeks. The bundle stringer has been designed, as an homage to the bundle stringer of the original board. It will have a 1/8th inch Redwood center stringer, flanked by a 1 1/2 inch Balsa on each side of the center, finished off with a 1/2 inch Redwood on each side of the Balsa. The total width of the wood bundle stringer will be four and one eighth inches. Bad ass, to the bone. This will be only the fourth time I’ve built a Gun with this style of stringer bundle. Two of the original three Guns are in collections. One sold from collector to collector, for $6,700 dollars, about 15 years ago. The other one I sold for $4,700 dollars, about ten years ago. To say that these boards are special, is an understatement.