1966 Duke Kahanamoku 9'4" - What's it worth?

I bought this board in 1966. I am trying to find out how much it is worth and how to sell it (at 75 I am no longer surfing…and I live in New England where the waves suck anyway! Unless, of course a tropical storm passes by. …then when you’re out on the water the coast guard are on the beach yelling at you to get out of the water. And. Like the other surfers. You raise your hand and give them the finger…

Anyway, can you guys help me out?

skeg3

skeg2

bottom2

tail-1

bottom 1

skeg1

The most expensive vintage surfboard on this Australian collectors site is $3,350.
BOARDS – Vintage Surfboards (classicsurfboards.com.au)

Yours with the Duke Kahanamoku name on it should be worth heaps more.

I am about to sell

Mikki Castonguay

I’m about to sell it for $500 and now I get your post. I am So co fused but I’m gonna let the guy who’s coming see this I just don’t know how to get an impartial expert to appraise the damn thing

That board is worth between $500 to $800 in my humble opinion. If it was pristine it would be worth a lot more but it is nowhere near pristine.

Thanks. I really mean that
So someone fixes it up and it’s worth a lot more
Some guy offered to clean it up for me for $150.
Tho k that would be a good idea?

Mikki Castonguay

Can anyone get Scott Bass or Randy Rarick to chime in?

This recent auction provides context.

From the lot notes:

This Duke Kahanamoku production board was recently sent in to us and we had to share it. Duke actually owned the label but did not play a role in shaping them. He had a factory in El Segundo, California and Honolulu, Hawaii making the boards as pop outs. The Duke Kahanamoku production boards were produced from 1965 through 1968 (the year Duke passed) with some later production runs also done in the 1980′s and 2000′s. Four different models were made in the 60s, which included the Butch Van Artsdalen Custom, Hawaii, Hawaii Sportflite and the Maui. In the early 1960s Duke had his own surf team (hand picked by him) It is no exaggeration to say that every surfer of the day would have wanted to be a Duke Team member. The team consisted of Joey Cabell, Paul Strauch, Fred Hemmings and Butch Van Artsdalen. Duke created the highly esteemed Duke Invitational surfing competition and surfers from around the world were invited to participate. The event only took place when the surf was big enough (often over 20 feet). Pride at being invited was immense. Surfing caught the public’s imagination and Duke Surfboards, such as the one we offer here, were made available in surf shops, so that anybody from Montauk to Malibu could vicariously join up. Duke Kahanamoku was an iconic Olympic champion swimmer, Ambassador of Aloha, Sheriff of Honolulu and widely recognized as the Father of Modern Day surfing. He was an accomplished Waterman, a credit to the State of Hawaii and National Treasure of the United States of America.

I wonder if there is more or less rarity to the “Maui” model…

What a question. Hope someone can answer it

Can anyone answer the Maui question?

Couple of options:

Put it on eBay with no reserve.
Sell it on Facebook Marketplace
Take it to a surfshop and put it on consignment
Gift it to your kids, grandkids or the kid down the street.

To me its realistically a $500-$800 board given what it is, the condition and location. This board is not the holy grail.

I am in agreement about the price of the board. I would like to know about the Maui on the board above the Duke logo. If you ha e the time. I have 2 ‘experts’ who have each offered my $500. Woukd the Maui logo help get me a couple more dollars!

Mikki Castonguay

Loook g for the Maui logo

Things went great after the pesky person making fun of me on marketplace got blocked. The man who brought the board has a surfboard museum down the cape. We enjoyed meeting him and felt comfortable parting with the board

Sorry I didn’t see this post earlier, or would have gladly chimed in! The basic info was there, so you got the most of it. Having restored over three dozen “Duke Kahanamoku” boards, they were your basic “popout” of the era. Sort of the Costco soft top of its time. The “Hawaii” Model was the upper end, the “Maui” Model was the lower end. There was about a $20 dollar difference back in the day. Yours had the inlaid 1 1/2" redwood stringer on the top only, which is why the bottom was pigmented. They used to sell for $69 at your local drug store or hardware outlet. In restored condition, the upper end “Hawaii” Models go for anywhere from $2500-$7500. Mind you, these are fully restored and in perfect condition. The “Maui” Models were the least desirable and much less fancy. If you got $500 for yours in the condition it was in, you did good. So, hope that adds a bit to your satisfaction and glad it worked out for all concerned. Aloha, Randy Rarick

1 Like

Randy,

That is some great info. Thanks for chiming in and glad to know you’re around.

Hey Mike,
Stoked to reply. Glad to see the “new” format for Swaylocks, as it was hard to navigate before! I just need to get on line, more often! Glad to contribute. Aloha!

1 Like

Thanks. I did get $500

Mikki Castonguay