1970's Sunliner Surfboard

I just picked up a vintage 1970's single fin Sunliner surfboard. Its around 6' 7" and is a winged swallow tail. Its a real cool looking board but needs quite a bit of work. The deck is really nice looking though.I'm not familiar with vintage Sunliner boards and am hoping some out there will know some of their history. I'm curious where they were made and who the shapers might have been. Can't find any markings on the board so no help there. Sure would appreciate any info. Mahalo!

Try a search on this site. I believe that there was a thread regarding the history of Surfline a few years ago.

The shop was on Piikoi Street, Ewa of Ala Moana Shopping Center. Originally, many of the popular Mainland surfboard's were available here. Later, began making board's under the Surfline Hawaii label. Started by Dave Rochlen, and later managed by Fred Swartz. Jack Shipley was a manager there, prior to leaving with Gerry Lopez to start Lightning Bolt in what was the old Hobie Shop on Kapiolani Boulevard.

Just a few of the Local Shaper's over the year's included Buddy Dumphy, Ben Aipa, Gerry Lopez, Randy Rarick and Ryan Dotson.

If there is any other information you are interested in, I may be able to recall any specifics for you.

Surfline Surf Shop on Piikoi st. in Honolulu, north side of the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

I apologize guys for not being sure of my information. After cleaning off years of wax on the deck, the board is a "Sunliner" surfboard. I have never ran across one of these. Thanks for the info on Surfliner surfboards though.

do you meen Sunline surfboards?

if so their from Huntington Beach Ca,

they were 80's boards,, I think lots of different shapers

Phil Becker was one of them

Ken, no its definitely "Sunliner" with an "R" on the end. I researched on the inter net and saw the "Sunline" brand name but have found nothing on this brand. I even looked on
"Stanley's Surf Crazy" web site that has hundreds of logos shown. I'll try to get some pics of it today and post it. Its a cool looking board.

I think I might have a lead on solving the "Sunliner" mystery. A friend of mine that is a big time surf board collector here in Texas told me that he thinks the board came from a shop down near Corpus Christi, Texas, back in the 70's. I'll do some more investigating on it and will post some pics of it later. Thanks again for the comments. Bob

[img_assist|nid=1049232|title=Vintage Sunliner Surfboard|desc=Laminate on the deck of the Sunliner surfboard|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]Here's the laminate on the deck of my Sunliner surfboard. Hope someone can shed some light on the history of the board.

[img_assist|nid=1049233|title=Vintage Sunliner Surfboard|desc=1970's Sunliner Surfboard|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]Here's a pic of the board.

Can’t help you with any info. Pictures are mighty small, too. You were right in your first post when you described it as a “winged swallow”. Not so accurate in comparing it to an Aipa “Sting”. That board bears virtually no resemblance to a sting.

And, for those who might know something about the brand, here’s a photo you can actually see:

Sammy, thanks for putting a larger pic up for me. Sorry for my inaccurate description. I do have an Aipa Stinger also. I just put it side by side with the Sunliner and they are quite different. Thanks for straightening me out. Any input is appreciated.

Bobby thats a good looking old board, a little small for you though isnt it...

I have a 5 and a half foot twin-fin swallow-tail Sunliner that I bought on Galveston Island in 1980. I watched the guy shape it and glass it somewhere on western Galveston Island.