1st shaping job: Reshaping an old favorite into Mini Simmons

After the fin box got destroyed on a racy little sand gurgler, my 25 year old 8’6" BC square tail is undergoing a change…I have never shaped a board before, but I’ve been a chef for years and feel like I have the patience for the job. It is turning out nice so far. I’ll post the pics here to show some progress as I go along. I’m shooting for a Mini Simmons-esque type board. I am also, so far, doing it all by hand; no electrical machine assistance. [img_assist|nid=1064495|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1064496|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1064497|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=67|height=100]For a spoke shave I busted apart an old kitchen peeler, and voila! Handy dandy spoke shave. Sorry for the newbie picture posting mistakes; I’ll figure this out for the update.[img_assist|nid=1064498|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1064499|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1064500|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1064501|title=Reshaping an old favorite board|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

Looks like some work peeling off that old glass, Way to recycle! How is that peeler working out on the stringer? post some pics when youve completed, be cool to see the finished product…
Much Aloha

Thank you, Found. The peeler works quite well, knocks the stringer down evenly and then I sand it with 120. I figure about 3-4 more sanding sessions and she’ll be ready for glassing. I want to mix a maple colored resin tint and dub her the “Maple Bar.” I am still undecided on whether I would like a quad or a twin, although I have been leaning quad.

[quote] I have never shaped a board before, but I've been a chef for years and feel like I have the patience for the job. [/quote]

What wanton hubris is this?  =)

‘Wanton hubris,’ lovely turn of phrase! And I’ve certainly been accused of worse. :slight_smile: Thanks for properly sizing my pics. I appreciate it. Any chance you can share how you did it? I was trying to embed from the camera icon, but obviously, that didn’t work out correctly.

Thanks, the line was a Tommy Lee Jones line from an old favorite movie, The Client, that stuck in my mind.  Of course, once you've watched a movie about a hundred times, the lines do tend to do that LOL.  Right now I'm into Moneyball, but I've only seen it about 50 times.  But we're working  on learning Spanish, so half the time I watch it in Spanish with English subtitles, and half the time I watch it in English, with Spanish subtitles.  Getting that one down pretty good, love the scene "Perder es divertido?  Perder es divertido?" (Is losing fun?  Is losing fun?  Then what are you having fun for?!)  Great movie, despite playing a bit loose with the facts.

My wife's business selling antiques and collectibles and used books requires a lot of sitting and cleaning and pricing, so when I'm not remodeling or surfing or making surfboards, thats usually what I'm doing, with some favorite movie playing in the background.  She taped Victoria's Secret fashion show as her "work-out" tape (for inspiration - she keeps telling me to get ready, she's gonna look like that pretty soon, and I say like what, I didn't notice anything, oh you mean those skinny broads, you better not get that skinny! hahaha), so thats cool too.

Anyway, I right clicked the pics, and got the popup menu, and I copied the url from that, i.e. http://www2.swaylocks.com/files/images/2012/02/dsc_0003.thumbnail.jpg  Then I just delete the "thumbnail" part, so it becomes http://www2.swaylocks.com/files/images/2012/02/dsc_0003.jpg and I use that with the picture icon, pretty quick and easy.