2 layers 8oz volan at same time and how much resin?

About to glass a longboard.  Going 1 layer 8oz volan on bottom and 2 on top.  uv resin, white opaque pigment on deck(will use catalyst).  Can I do the 2 layers at same time?  Have done 2 6oz regular cloth before, and 3x 4oz with epoxy also on other boards, but want to make sure I’m not going to have trouble getting resin throught the cloth.

ALSO…

How much resin should I mix up with color? Was planning on half gallon, but want to make sure I’m not underestimating… board is 10’x 16.5 x 24"x 17 x 3 3/8

John

bump… No takers?  First time using heavier cloth and want to make sure I’m not overdoing it trying to glass 2x8oz in one lam, uv resin with catalyst and a white opaque.  Going for it tomorrow unless I hear different!  

Mix up more.

Nothing worse than running out.

8 oz. soaks up a lot of resin.

And a 10’ board is a lot of area.

Work fast.

It’s that time of year where resin kicks quick.

Use a yellow plastic body squeegee as thet are sharp and wet out double layers easier.

Work in well as the deck needs resin to saturate thru the cloth into foam.

UV will only kick the surface.

So maybe catylize a bit slower than usual.

Good luck.

Hi Deca -

It doesn’t matter if Volan or Silane… 8 oz cloth is 8 oz cloth.  The guys from Greenlight posted a resin amount chart awhile back that gave reasonable amounts to use with different weight cloths and board lengths.  It’s pretty easy to calculate though…

If you estimate the length to be a bit in excess of 3 yards (10 foot board) and figure that a 1.5:1 resin to cloth ratio is manageable, a starting point for a person new at glassing might be around 36-40 ounces of resin for the bottom and  72-80 ounces for the deck.  That’s for the lamination.  You can cut way back on that for the hot coats.  

A gallon is 128 fluid ounces so 1/2 gallon is not going to be close once you figure putting in a fin, etc.  

It doesn’t take much gloss resin to seal the board either.

Here is a link to the Greenlight post…  http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/new-epoxy-polyester-resin-amount-board-length-chart

Unfortunately they don’t list resin amount for a 10 foot board with 8 ounce cloth but for the sake of comparison, they do list 40 ounces (minimum) to 54 ounces (maximum) for a 10 foot board with double 6 ounce cloth.  

The formula is close to what I use for my estimates… I.E. multiply weight of cloth X length of board (X2 for 2 layers) and multiply that by 1.5 to give yourself some breathing room on the resin amount.  6 ounce cloth X 3 yards = 18 (X2 for deck) = 36 (X1.5 for reasonable resin to cloth ratio) = 54 ounces for a double 6 deck lamination on a 10 foot board.  That should give you enough resin to pull everything tight and squeegee off some excess.

Hotcoats are listed at 20-27 ounces per side.

I often trim my laps so they are staggered… first layer overlap just over the apex, second layer full wrap.  If I have folded my laps up while wetting out, I sometimes wrap each lap under separately.  It kind of depends on what kind of a mess I’ve made.  It also helps to trim any hanging strands of cloth before wrapping.  I have a pair of metal scissors handy that I can dunk in acetone.  Those aluminum baking trays from the dollar store make good acetone basins for cleaning up squeegees and scissors.

Best of luck on your glass job.  Since you’ve done multiple layers before it shouldn’t be too difficult but like Barry says, watch out for hot weather.  Your cure rate goes up fast in high temperatures.  

I’d recommend doing a white foam stain first, top and bottom, then a clear lamination.  This will show the classic Volan look, first off.  It will keep the foam from soaking up too much resin, as you can kick the foam stain hotter.  You won’t have to pigment all the resin, just enough for coating the blank (I like a foam roller but squeegee works too).  And your uv catalyst should work better on the lam… I like 8 oz Volan, but it will make a heavy board if you’re not careful…try to get the lam as tight as you can, not over saturated. Have fun with it!  Post pics after…

How did you go.

This was years ago, don’t remember what ended up doing. If you are doing color, I’d just mix up more than you think you need for the bottom and pour some off to save for the top…::or if you are coming up short, just throw some catalyst in the container you set aside and finish. I won’t glass that heavy anymore, it’s just overkill. With the better foam densities now, you don’t really need it.

1 Like