5-10 Bolt Action build ride report update

WOW!

That is a blast from the past!!!
Made that one a while ago.
Learned a ton…

Funny, still have the “bolt action” , just freshing her up for sale…

However, for the sake of sales, i sold out
“they don’t need rocker, but give’m what they want”.

Still with the test boards flow rules…

Seek

MattyWho, you really should come to the Swaylocks campout this year…
You’d fit right in!
We are gonna be just up the street from you in Jalama…
Still working on the dates.

Post em up!
Mahalo

Hi, I’m trying to shape my own board and I was just wondering what order you shape the rocker, the thickness, the concave and the rails?

thanks

Hello Jhrsurf-

Youe questions are a little oddly placed at the back of this old thread. If Matty answers it will be a treat. Is this the size/type board that interests you?

Have you read any online guides or looked at any shaping videos?

I would stick to guides and videos from bigger places like Greenlight and Fiberglass Hawaii.

Here is a video of Terry Martin, RIP. Not so much a how to do it but a fun glimpse of his process.

[[{“fid”:“108461”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”}},“link_text”:“Embedded video media on Vimeo”,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Also enclosed is a link to Greenlight’s guide: https://greenlightsurfsupply.com/pages/greenlight-surfboard-building-guide-a-z

Order of steps will change a little whether it is EPS block or a PU blank as a starting point.

Hey J,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I’m trying to make a 5’10 board. I’ve read a few online guides but didn’t find the Greenlight one (that’s really helpful). It’s answered pretty much all my questions.

cheers

You are most welcome.

I am actually all for different sources, videos, etc. but I also think it all gets overwhelming, like trying to bake a cake using four different recipes at once. If I were to start over I would get a DIY kit from a reputable supplier with all the materials and work the steps in the kit.  Good stands and choices in lighting (overhead and side lights) make a huge difference too which I did not kearn until board 3 or 4.

Feel free to start a thread for your board as well. As your questions become more specific, you will get more specific answers (and some interesting opinions) from the forum.

Yeah, reading that green surf supply page made it seem all the more overwhelming!! And how many more little but essential bits I need. Haha. I have the main outline of the board now ( in terms of length and deck shape) so will start a thread on how it goes. I have to do it in the garden in the open so when it’s raining, which it is a lot of the time, not a whole lot gets done.