5.9 Nug / compsand questions

Hey y’all,

I’m currently building a Mini Simmons inspired board 5.9x22x2.44 ~39l. I’m building it using the compsand approach.
Core: 1.2# EPS
Rails: 15mm Airex C70.55
Skins: 3mm Airex C70.75
4oz. glass inside of the Skins.
I posted over at compsand.com but that place seems to be dead. Maybe you guys can help me out.
The Airex, although it’s a closed cell foam, seems to drink quite a lot of resin. Would you guy spacle the surfeace Prior to lamination?
Would just one layer of 4oz glass would be enough?
Thanks for your Input!

Looks unreal satch!!
I think you’ll have to trawl back through the archives for an answer. Not that many knowledgeable in these builds left at swaylocks either…

Thanks marsh!

Up to now it went pretty well. But everythin has been done using Computer designed templates and jigs. Not too much room for error. I’m a bit afraid to start shaping the rails now. Only building a board every few years I don’t have a lot of practice.

Looks like this building method is dead. Although firewire and sunova seem to be pretty succesful using that approach. I was hoping for maybe sharkcountry to give some advice. I think he built some boards compsand style.
The board, bert burger built in his Initial thread about the whole topix, he used 4oz top and 2oz bottom. Perhaps a deck patch would be wise. I’ll go for a spackle to Keep it light.

You must seal airex to keep it light, spakle work, resin glass bubbles too. 4oz over is enough.
This technique is overbuild for most so people go to simple (and far easier/cheaper) way. Sandwich boards are in general light, hard, and durable, they often feel stiff under feet, not a real problem for fun shapes.

Thanks Lemat!
That’s the answer I was hoping for. I’m pretty sure the Absence of flex won’t be noticable for this kind of shape. I’ll post updates once I proceed.