6'10" mid length

Hi everyone,

Pretty new on this forum, but it’s been quite a while I have been looking in the shaping direction…

I shaped my first surfboard (hollow wooden board) 4 years ago, a 9’6" noserider … And now I am looking in a mid-length board …

I am 5’11", about 180lbs. Quite at ease with my noserider, but want to try something shorter.

So I jumped in, and gave it a shot on boardcad. I kept some volume overall (46L), and the rocker not too pronounced.

what do you think ? Am i going in the right direction ? Any big mistakes ?

[[{“fid”:“109407”,“view_mode”:“preview”,“fields”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-preview”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]][[{“fid”:“109408”,“view_mode”:“preview”,“fields”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“Outline”},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“2”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“Outline”}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“title”:“Outline”,“class”:“media-element file-preview”,“data-delta”:“2”}}]][[{“fid”:“109409”,“view_mode”:“preview”,“fields”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“3”:{“format”:“preview”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-preview”,“data-delta”:“3”}}]]

Cheers !

Lemme see if I can get these images sized

Looks good for me, maybe this thread of mine helps a little bit:

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/project-66-56l-volume-single-fin

I designed a higher volume board and finally got two alternatives, one is build already

Thanks for the images Gdaddy, I was not sure of the result of the “preview” … And thanks for your feedback Surfdude.

For now, my rocker is set to N 4 1/2 / T 2 1/4. I saw in Surfdude’s thread for the 6’6’', that you thought (Gdaddy) the rocker would be better off with an inch less.

Do you think I should reduce mine too (nose at 3 1/2, and tail ?)

If I recall, he was running a little shorter in the length and talking about running a singlefin.   I think 6-6 is a somewhat marginal length for a singlefin, especially a design with the width and curve he had going so I was thinking that flattening it out might eke a bit more speed out of the design.   You’ve got a few more inches in length and a somewhat narrower width, and since you didn’t say, I therefore didn’t jump to the assumption you were running a single.  

If you’re going to run a thruster or even a quad then (in my opinion) the rocker you’ve got will work fine.  In a 6-10 length you just about can’t go wrong with a 4/2 rocker, either.  Or, you can just go with what you’ve got because that’lll work, too - especially if you’re surfing waves with a little more juice on them.  

Your other consideration will be what blank you use to get to your finished rocker.   It’s usually way easier to add rocker at the ends than it is to take rocker out of the middle.

I was not really in the idea of running a single to be honnest, more of a thruster.

Thanks again for the feedback on the rocker, I guess I am gonna keep as it is (4"1/2  // 2"1/4) as you said.

As for the blank, not yet decided to do it with a foam blank or my usual way of shaping, meaning hollow wooden board :slight_smile:

Cheers.