67' Bing DNLW

I recently aquired a 67 Bing Nuuhiwa Lightweight. The glass-on did not come with. I’m looking for suggestions on what to do with it…would installing a finbox be a no-no? Could it be reversed if I I did install a box? The wax has since been cleaned, the deck and nose are in good to fair shape respectively. Also curious if it’s worth anything as is…

Thanks!

Not too bad looking of a board. “Is it worth anything?” Whatever you can get somebody to pay, is what it’s worth. I would fix it up. But if you go that route, decide what you’re fixing the board up for: you or to sell it. If it was my board I’d fix it and ride it, which means adding a fin box. Adding a fin box is sometimes considered a no-no, but in my opinion, owning a vintage board and not surfing it is also a no-no so it balances out. Another reason to add a fin box is for the ability to move the fin. Sometimes, these older boards worked well but the fin was glassed on in the wrong place, thereby making an inferior ride. The fin box allows options. 

If you’re going to sell it, glass in a fin, fix the dings, and throw it on craigslist.

EDIT: Yes, you could reverse the ‘damage’ of adding a fin box but it won’t ever look exactly the same as before the box. 

Much appreciated Monkstar! Fin box is going in unless someone stops me beforehand.

So very true.

If you are interested in selling it before you do anything to it give me a shout. 

Dave 978-815-0585

Ain’t no cream puff, someone already did a cover up on the nose.  If you’re going to sell it anyway I’d say don’t do any work on it.  You won’t add to the value, most likely you’ll lower the value.  Let whoever buys it make the decisions and they can lovingly restore their new ride.  Personally, I’ve always passed on restored boards, and especially if there were liberties taken.

As far as saying the original fin of a nlw was not in the right place, that borders on blasphemy.

edit: if that’s original slipcheck on the nose it bolsters the case not to mess with it.  Where are you located?

As far as saying the original fin of a nlw was not in the right place, that borders on blasphemy.

*Tucks tail between legs…

Okay, so Gene I’m curious. If you were going to fix this board up for yourself, what would you do to it?

And did the pictures disappear?

I can put the pictures back up to facilitate further discussion…removing them was my half-assed attempt at suppressing attention due to someone (who shall remain nameless) feeling comfortable giving my phone number out without asking…an interweb faux pas. Looking forward to the polymath’s response…

Yes sir certainly bad judgment on my part, with hopes my apologies were excepted. Gene knows these boards as well as anybody so he is your man. Once again wishing you the best with whatever you decide to do with your board. 

Monkstar1- I’d put the proper fin on it in the original spot and fix the dings with color matched resin.  Fin is opaque yellow using volan with a 1/32” white center, minimally foiled, round leading edge and 3/4” bevel on the trailing edge. I’d just lay up a single panel.  Everything has to be pretty precise for the board to regain its value, a complete understanding of the model would help to achieve that. As you know doing stuff right is a lot of work and care but rescuing something like this is gratifying.

What is your method of matching the resin color? Also, if you get the color wrong or a little bit off, how do you deal with that, leave it as is or attempt to redo the color match?