'68 Hansen Superlight - best cleaning/polishing agent

Greetings to all, Have a 1968 Hansen Superlight that I’m currently stripping the wax from & preparing to clean for display on my wall @ home. My question is, what’s the best deep cleaning agent you can use to clean grime & residue off an old board’s surface to return it to the original color? Would also appreciate any tips on proper cleaning & polishing techniques. Thanks in advance, John

Greetings to all,>>> Have a 1968 Hansen Superlight that I’m currently stripping the wax from > & preparing to clean for display on my wall @ home. My question is, > what’s the best deep cleaning agent you can use to clean grime & > residue off an old board’s surface to return it to the original color? > Would also appreciate any tips on proper cleaning & polishing > techniques.>>> Thanks in advance,>>> John I usually scrape as much wax off as i can with the blade side of a wax comb and then set it in the hot sun for 10 minutes or so to loosen up the remaining wax. wipe that down with paper towels to get as clean as possible. anything that has orange oil in it is a great wax solvent. Some shops even sell a wax disolving solution. If you are handy with a grinder and have the skill to sand and regloss then polish your board will be just as shiny as the day it was made. It may be yellowed from the sun and show some of its age but it’ll be nice and shiny. Maybe there are some other tips in the archive threads regarding restoration techniques. (PS …if you do use your grinder be extra carful around any pinlines. Skip them all to gether and hand sand) JC

Use D-Solve-It! (sp?) It’s a kitchen cleaner made to remove grease. You can get it just about anywhere, including 99-cent stores. Comes in a spray bottle like Windex. Yellow colored liquid. (Could be goat piss?) Whatever it is, this stuff works wonders! Start with a clean, dry cloth. Spray a couple feet of the board down at a time. Let it set a few seconds. Wipe residue off. Repeat if necessary. Will also leave a slight gloss. Has a nice lemony smell too. I think it was Jim Phillips who turned me on to this stuff (special thanks). Now my garage smells like fresh lemonade everytime I strip a board.

Use D-Solve-It! Forgot to mention: In case you didn’t already guess, you should first remove the bulk of the wax with the blade of a wax comb, as mentioned by Jim Cox. Then clean the rest of the residue off with D-Solve-It. You could remove it all with the liquid, but you’ll have a mess on your rag/hands. Also, don’t be alarmed if your board feels a little oily immediately after using the stuff. Give it time to air off and the surface oil will evaporate.

Thanks to deeb & JC for your input. I ended up using some of the Mr. Zog’s wax remover - that seemed to really do the trick. She’s now back on the wall where she belongs… Thanks again, John