'69 American style

What are some of the key characteristics of American (mainland) boards in '69? I’m Australian, and much of my impression of US boards from this period stems from movies like “Pacific Vibrations” and footage of Rolf Aurness’s 1970 World title win. They seem, particularly in terms of the template outline, distinctly different from much of what was going down in Oz at the time, somewhat more advanced in some regards. Rail design also seems more advanced. The down rail wasn’t really heavily in use in Australia until mid-1970 (as far as I can tell), most boards shaped with a flat or rolled bottom and 50/50 rails, hard near the tail. The differences are notable not only at this point, though. US designs in the mid to late '70s, apparently strongly emphasizing noseriding, with a rounded ‘dolphin’ nose, are markedly different from conventional Oz equipment during the same period.

the grass being greenest at a distance we always thought that the aussie boards were the inspiration…but thats from this side of the fence…what’s that mushroom growing there next to your foot? ambrose… literature is always to be considered at least 6 months behind all changes and trends ie magazine article march 69 is what was happening in september 68…

Looking back, I think your right about Rolf being the main inspiration in ‘69 in CA. I’m from FL and the inspiration there came much more from Tabeling and that was HEAVILY influenced by what was happening down under (Nat). In the 1970 World Championships Rolf shocked the world and sent the US into the down rail, semi gun conciousness that dominated through most of the 70’s. The twin fin fish was the exception but didn’t seem considered to be mainstream until MR. Lopez’ Pipe feats were also looked upon very favorably in those early 70’s. Down rails did happen a bit earlier (Hynson) in CA but much of what was happening in ‘69 was also Hawaiian influenced (Brewer). RB’s 7’4" and the 8’1’ blanks were so far ahead of their time. They were like Jimi Hendrix’s guitar licks of the same era. Ambrose is right though, it’s hard to nail down specific dates and events when there was so much change and the mags were outdated before they were printed. And a fuzzy memory is only so accurate…