7'0 Simon Anderson Early Thruster Template build

I’ve been wanting to make some generalist boards for some upcoming trips - one soon to the south and one in spring to visit my uncle in Humboldt county.

I wanted generous foam, heavy glass, and shapes that can ride a variety of waves. It ended up being an 8’4 magic template off my neighbors 8’4 Skip, and a 7’0 shaped off an early Simon Anderson style Becker that I found on craigslist a few weeks ago. 

The Becker caught my eye instantly. Just a really clean, balanced template with a wide tail that makes sense for my chunky beachbreaky local spot. Being roughly the same age as the thruster concept itself, I hadn’t really paid much attention to the early Thrusters and this looked more like an MR type twin with a trailer to me, especially with it’s removable, smaller G&S Star Fin for a rear. Upon more research though I realized - well, yes, start w an MR twin, square that swallowtail and add a third fin, and you have an early Thruster! The fin placement was 4" from tail for the rear fin and 11.5" from the tail for the sides. 1/4" toe, 6 or so degrees cant, and 1.5" from the rail for the side fins as well. 

The more I looked at it the more I liked it. On a whim I took a shot at stuffing it into my “6’6” travel bag, and lo and behold it fit! 

Anyways, here’s my take on a 7’0 Anderson style Becker early Thruster. I lowered the nose rocker from the original to around 4 1/8" or4 1/4" and bumped the tail rocker a bit to 2 1/8 or 2 1/4, if I recall.

I did a more traditional shortboard bottom with a flat entry, single concave from chest to between the feet, switching to a double concave /slight vee between the leading fins that flattens out behind the back fin. And I made a diamond tail out of that big rounded squaretail just for kicks.

The rails I went for a more modern shortboard rail. Domed the thick deck slightly down to not too thick, not too thin boxed tucked edge rails. The Becker had sharp rails front to back, so I did keep my tucked edge through most of the board, just not an extremely sharp one.

For the little wings, I wanted them more as a rail break to release the tail of the board a little more than anything else, so the wing sections were the the same shape as the rest of the rails just with a sharp step from one section to the next, rather than the pretty bladed wings on other boards from the time. Who knows if I had a valid idea there. Probably not, and any positive effect is luck. I can live with that haha.

To my slight surprise as I’m more comfortable making singles, the fin boxes all went in correctly and the fins point where they should! I tried the “drill through the box” leash loop install and it appears to be solid. I was aggressive with loading the hole and box cavity with chopped glass, so I hope it will be strong. 

The board goes well. Fast, paddles, still small enough to duck dive like a high schooler, and yet on a trial day racing closeouts, I was able to get up, race, and quickly hit an oncoming section without anything feeling funky. 

I’ve only had two mediocre sessions on it - very quickly we had a run of busy work, pollution related sore throat drydock, rainstorms dry dock, and flat weird tide longboard waves. So hopefully initial impressions were correct and this can be a back of the truck roadtrip board :) . 

Good job.  I like it.   80’s Thusters were my favorite shortboard.  Rusty had 'em dialed in early on when he was at Canyon. They were so popular that he brought them back in the 2000’s.  I like the wing and the way you placed it.

Thank you! I’ve had my eye out for a Rusty Canyon in the right size for a bit. That would be an interesting one to take a look at. 

Doing a little calculation with the “Way-Back Machine” ;I think I bought my first one in about '83 or '84.  Purchased at Central Coast Surf Shop in SLO from original owners Jim and Mike.  A year or two later I moved down to Ocean Beach and got to Hang out a little at the Canyon Shop, met Rusty etc.  I remember seeing some really interesting and different longboards in there as well as all those great looking Thrusters.  San Diego Craigslist or Birds Surf Shed might be sources.  Would be really hard to find a Nectar or a Thruster that Simon Anderson actually shaped himself.  Not impossible though. I have seen a Canyon or two for sale on Craigs over the years.   That outline on the Becker is really close to an Original.

The center box is a really smart move.  Not only do you get a nearly bomb-proof leash attachment with the loop but with an extra fin or two and some experimenting, you might find that to be an XLNT one-board quiver.  Subtle position changes with center fin(s) may provide amazing results.  The 2+1 fin layout has always been one of my favorite set ups.  Even with glassed-on sidebites, you can get a lot of range with the center fin opportunities.  On some of my forward screw tab fins, I did some cutting at the back of the tab so I could move the center fin back farther in the box.  

Thanks @JohnMellor! I had the exact same idea - at this stage of shaping I can relatively reliably make a single fin board that goes where it is pointed, but a thruster setup was intimidating. I wanted as many options as possible. 

I noticed that on fin placement discussions on Sways regarding MR Twins and Simon Anderson thrusters both sometimes had side fin placements mentioned at the 11.5 location my Becker had them, so I figured with futures sides and a center box I could try out a Twin setup, a Thruster, a 2+1, and a single if all else failed.

My box allows the small box fin to set at the 4" from tail location that the Becker used (it did take some cutting of the fin base and relocation of the steel pin, plus a little extra to clear the leash loop knot). It also reaches forward enough that a larger fin can go up into 2+1 position with the front of the single lined up with the tailing edge of the side fins. I grabbed a little guitar pick rear fin as well to play with twinny type setups. 

In the end I tried a twin setup first - very fast, very loose as expected, but felt funky, a little hard to get my foot placement right. Second session, skipped the gradual evolution, tried a true thruster setup and the board just felt right. I did scoot the rear fin up 1/8" for next time, it seemed like the board could loosen just a touch. I found a pair of early plastic futures sidebites in my box-o-fins, so eventually I’ll probably give 2+1 a shot, as well as a true single one day. 

Hi Anderson´s quintessential Energy thrusters were shorter. 6 2 or less. Those Rusty s were more in that vain too.

Fins set up were a bit spread.

Hi Reverb - totally, I think that was what caught my eye about this Becker. It was just sort of weird and really stood out as being this giant version of an 80’s shortboard, but the lines looked good still! Most of the ones I see are in that high 5 foot low six foot length you mentioned, so a non-gunny 7’0 version just stuck out. In person, the thing feels good under the arm. It’s nowhere near watertight and I haven’t decided what to do about cleaning it up, so for now it’s just in sort of a reference book category in the garage with several other well worn but master shaped boards I tend to look to for advice. 

The Canyon Rusty’s that I have referred to were all 6’3" plus.  Most were in the 6’3" thru 6’10" range.  Almost no one in that era rode anything shorter.  I owned and loved a 6’8 that I had bought at CCS in SLO.  I snapped the tail off at St.Andrews in Shell Beach.  The next weekend I was free falling over the edge at 1st Peak Pleasure Point Santa Cruz on a 6’3.  I had to have a board as quick as possible because of a planned trip North.  The 6’3 was a little short, but I knew I could make it work.  Didn’t have the 6’8" very long, but man I loved it.

From my experience with Mr like twin fins, board is easier to surf with fin back than here, like 8" from tail or less for strong Blackfoot surfing. 

Hi Lemat - Like your post would predict, the twin setup felt a little too loose for my taste and the thruster setup does seem to work better on the board. I bought a little nub to try with my twin fins but so far have liked the thruster setup and haven’t changed it out.