70's Aipa Sting info/value?

I have recently aquired an old Aipa Sting from a friend.  It is water tight and fun to ride but has its share of bumps and bruises and some discoloration.  I’m wondering if anyone on here can give me a little more info about the history of this board and what it may be worth?  Is something of a collector or is it just a fun board to ride?  It was shaped by Rich Hamon which leads me to believe it is from SNI factory in California.  The Serial number is 5926.  Anyways, I appreciate any info!  Thanks!   -Adam

[img_assist|nid=1075401|title=Aipa Sting, 6'7", singlefin, sting, stinger, sni, hamon, 70's|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=240|height=160]

[img_assist|nid=1075399|title=Aipa Sting, 6'7", singlefin, sting, stinger, sni, hamon, 70's|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=153|height=213][img_assist|nid=1075400|title=Aipa Sting, 6'7", singlefin, sting, stinger, sni, hamon, 70's|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=153|height=214]

That’s a cool board. Why not contact Ben and find out for sure? You’re probably  right about coming from SNI which had some legendary guys shaping those boards, so that’s pretty cool too. It’s a cool piece to have, and to ride, for your blue collar collector but not for the high end guys. If it was almost new then it would be a good piece to have in a collection because of what it represents. Value wise, it depends on location and who you’re talking too. We just finished up a profile and shaping video with Ben. Check it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqNmyDAv8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIAx-u283Qw

Thank you for the links, what great videos.  I really enjoyed watching him shape the board, the time and detail that goes into each board is amazing, especially when you think that he’s been at it for over 40 years and could probably shape a board with his eyes closed.

Since it wasn’t shaped by Aipa and in fair condition, it isn’t worth more than any other old banged up board.

I must congratulate you for calling it a sting and not a “stinger”, though. At least you know what you have.

That paint job was most likely done by Mike Hagstrom who was SNI’s house airbrusher during that time.

SNI had a very close relationship with Ben Aipa. An Aipa would have some value. and if it had the step tail It would have even more value.  

If it were in very good condition with an airbrush job would ad value.  I have one that I bought at a garage sale for $25.00 Might use it in an art project.  

Does anyone know anything about when the serial number might place the boards birthdate?  Was there a point when they stopped shaping them with the steptail or is that something that they did at the SNI shop vs Aipa’s shapes in Hawaii?

I was wondering about the airbrushing.  It’s a shame that isn’t done more to boards these days, such a cool look in my opinion.

2nd that - great videos, thanks FGH for making them, and for sharing