70s Jacobs Singlefin Shortboard - Shaped by Widener

I just acquired a beat up Jacobs single fin, swallow tail sting/stinger design. The only signature on the deck is 133 Widener, leading me to believe Widener shaped it which would put it in the mid 70s. I’ve done a search and found one other post about Widener. I figured I’d ask here for any other info/stories about Widener or Jacobs at that time. Not really interested in value for this one, like I said it’s beat, but I’m stoked to fix it up and give it a ride. Pics coming soon. 

Okay, here are some pics. There are numerous dings as well as stress cracks all over the bottom. Somebody tried to slap some resin over these cracks and it looks like it’s going to be an easy job sanding them off. Stingers and tail need a little work but nothing too serious. The deck has a leash plug which probably wasn’t originally there and a few fixed dings, no gashes so that’s nice. Surprisingly the deck has very few heel dents. One rail is dented in slightly but was glassed over at some point. All in all, I’m happy with this <$60 purchase (came with fin and leash too). I’ve received one lead on Widener’s whereabouts, might be shaping for Stewart surfboards. I’ve contacted them and waiting to hear back. 

Jeff Widener shaped my first custom (with me watching) in the Jacobs shop around 1972. By that time Hap had gone fishing but his name was still on the shop and boards. 

Ran into Jeff randomly a few years back here in the SC ghetto where he’d been (and continues to) work for Biolos. 

Jeff keeps a very low profile.     

Biolos, interesting. Well, even though he keeps a low profile, it doesn’t hurt to ‘try’ to get in touch with him. I’ll send out a message there. Thanks.

What year do yo suppose that board was built??  Interesting to hear what Widener would have to say about it, time and place etc. Call Basham’s and ask if anyone has seen him or has contact info on him.  All those “Ghetto” guys are in and out of there everyday.