9’2” build for novice surfer

I am building a LB for a novice surfer 9’2” x 22” x 2 7/8”. I am not a longboarder so don’t have much personal experience. I was planning on a rounded nose, square tail, and 50/50 rails with a relaxed rocker. Was hoping for some recommendations on bottom contours. This will not be a noserider- more of a cruiser for beach break.

I’m not really a longboarder per se either, but I’ve made a few, sold my first one to a teenage grom and he absolutely loved it. So I duplicated it on my second build, and I like it, although I generally prefer a slightly different planshape myself.

Anyway, as best I remember, I went with flat bottom (rail to rail), transition to V in the fin area, rails were more like 60-40 but very round, except in the fin area, where they transition to more of a down rail out the tail, but not like a hard-edge down rail like you’d find on a high performance shortboard. In the nose the rails were more like 30-70, with the rail apex above mid point.

I didn’t add the standard nose scoop and exaggerated rocker out the back, cuz it wasn’t intended specifically as a noserider, just a fun longboard. I’ll try to find some pics to post up with this.

Thanks! Very helpful. I was kind of nervous to leave the bottom flat because I usually run a single concave through the middle of my boards.

I was thinking of running a v or double concave through the fin area. The rail advice sounds good- I will put that into the board. Would love to see some photos!

Single concave through the middle is great for carving, flat bottom for trimming, V in the tail for turning, IMO, but everyone has their own ideas that work for them. Share some pics when you make the board!

Wow!- Those pics are awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like