9'2" Gordon and Smith, Seeking Info

I stumbled on this 9’2" G&S in my buddies work shed during a renovation. It belonged to the owner’s brother but she was not sure when or where he purchased it (he was likely the original owner). It has no markings other than the black logo and the number “3863” in pencil above it. It is heavy, at least 3" thick, with thick glassing, 1/2" stringer and a D fin. It has a few dings on the nose, fin, and rail but otherwise seems to be in good condition. Is it possible the 63 refers to the model year? Any information including possible value is appreciated. Thanks.

The serial number means nothing. G&S restarted their numbering sequence many times and did not keep records, anyway.
But, the board has the black logo with Dana Point on it, which dates it to around 1962-63. The Dana Point branch was short lived. Cool old board, anyway.

thanks Sammy. UPDATE: I called up the G&S shop here in San Diego and Debbie Gordon picked up the phone. Really nice lady. Nice enough to humor some random guy calling to ask about an old board. She said she has one similar to this one, and you are right, 61-62’ is the year she guessed by the black logo. She said it was likely their “Quarterspeed” model.

What year did the reverse D come into play??

For me, it was 1960, influenced by Phil Edwards. I suspect Phil was using a ‘‘reverse’’ fin somewhere around 1957, or 1958. It was Phil that opened my eyes to the superior hydrodynamic performance of a thick foiled fin, compared to the ‘‘standard’’ fins of the day. A conversation/discussion that I refer to, to this day, as my Phil Edwards tutorial. Five years later, I was shaping next to him at Hobie. Who’da thunk it?

Wow that early. I had always though them to be later. Thanks for the history lesson!