9'3" channin / diffenderfer

I have an oppritunity to purchase this board and was loooking at restoring it.  It needs a LOT of work but I wanted to see if anyone had any information on this board?  I was told it’s a 1968 but someone put a leash plug and a fin box in it.  I would love to restore this to its original state.  Can anyone help shed some light on this board and what this board restored board may be worth.  I 'm wondering if it’s worth it to fix.

Thank you for your help

Someone else will chime in who has the historical library and references.   I can only go by my distant and foggy memory.  The fin box dates it, but I can’t remember the name and time frame related to that fin system.  I’m thinking early 70’s. If the fin box is a retro; It was installed very early in the boards life.  The leash plug of course is a much later “Retro”.  The Channin/Diffenderfer partnership existed in the early 70’s.  I don’t think it lasted into the 80’s.  Channin’s Factory was down near 15th Street Del Mar in  those days.  Tony along with a very good crew was the brains and brawn behind the contract glass shop and the C/D brand.  Diff was off traveling the World, North Shore and especially France.   Eventually the disparity in effort resulted in a split.  It’s an old example of one of the great partnerships that existed in those days.  Historical, certainly.  Whether or not you can make a profit on it depends on what you pay.   There are better examples of this great historical parrtnership.  Like Balsa guns with the Channin/Diff label.  Mike Diffenferfer was one of the only guys to chamber Balsa during that time frame.

They put the year at the end of the serial number, so 1968 is accurate. The finbox is original, no question. Although it appears the original bolts were replaced with those phillips heads. Pretty sure they had allen heads, pan style.

The board is pretty toasted but not a terminal case. The question is, how much will you pay for it, and how much time and money will you add after purchasing?

I don’t see this as a board you can make a profit from. Fix the dings, clean it up, ride it. Best feature is the tapered, colored foam stringer. Somewhat unique.

FYI, I would not pay more than 400 or so, as is.

So Sammy,  Do you know the name of that fin system?.   Thanks for the info.  Makes sense to me.  We delivered blanks to Channin Glass shop on 15th in 1969 or so and the C/D label was visible on plenty of racks.  I had a board or two with that fin system, but don’t remember what is was called or who manufactured it.  You’re right about the screws. The Fins Unlimited box was introduced around that time.

Second generation FINS UNLIMITED, uses two plates and hex drive countersunk screws.     Made out of white Cycolac plastic.      I think they called the system  ‘‘VARISET’’

Yup!  That’s it.  Variset.

Yes, Bill. 2nd gen FU,  Variset. In use for maybe a year and a half before the current style came along.

The stringer on the OP’s board was probably as red as the fin at one time.  The board in the add was probably a Bahne Egg.