A bit of balsa

Okay, a bit of history on this one. About a year ago Kensurf found a wreck of a Joe Quiqq in a backyard and I thought it would be a good idea to save it from the landfill. The board finally made its way here (Thanks UncleGrumpy, Ken, Barry), and it is indeed a wreck. But a wreck with a great outline and a stellar fin template. Still debating what to do with that one…

But, for a local exhibit on surf history that’ll open in June, one of the few things we were lacking was a period balsa… so having a great template/reference, and a nice balsa blank in the garage, I decided to shape one.

I modified the length to 9’3" to correspond to the blank, and extended the tail curve into a rounded pin (which is also consistent with other boards from the period, including other Quiggs), kept everything else the same: rails, bottom, rocker. My usual glasser buddy being unavailable, I glassed this one myself - first glass job in years! And probably my last since my skin really, really doesn’t like glassing.

Sorry for the poor quality phone photos, but the last one will give you a better idea of the grain and the polish. It’s a nice piece of wood. Considering its an epoxy glass job, I’m more than stoked on the clarity and rub out. More build details if you’re interested.

That looks killer! Good on you for building it. 

Please ride it!! 

Thank you.

Not to worry, this one will be in the water as soon as the exhibit is over. Balance feels good, digging the weight, should be a fun rider for certain days.

“More build details if you’re interested.”

Uuuuuh . . .yes, please!

Chambered?  Contours? What’s the final weight?  Any tips for glassing balsa with epoxy?  What’s your process. if you care to share?  That looks awesome.

Looks like one of those pre-glued blanks, eh? You did not go through this one, did you? Polyester gloss or is it just un-sanded and un-polished epoxy?

Yep, this one is a glued blank. One of the nicer ones that I’ve shaped with nice wood,  plenty of margin, and the rocker was easy to adjust. Not even close to breaking through - that did suck!

This is an epoxy gloss -  Mixed the resin with a bit of alcohol and then waited nearly a week before the rub out. Then sanded 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and then two foam pads with high cut compound, finishing up with a wool bonnet and Maquires. Took me a couple of hours per side but for the backyard hack that I am I’m pretty happy with it.

Would you like to come up for the exhibit?

Where and what is said exhibit?? 

The exhibit is in Bordeaux - at the Musée d’Aquitaine - if anyone happens to be around. Maybe a good chance to combine a trip with some wine tasting?

About the build? Modifying the template was pretty easy once I figured where I wanted my widepoint. A bit of transitioning but not a big deal. I happened to stumble on some wide sabre saw blades, over an inch, and they did a great job of keeping the outline cut largely wobble-free.Clean-up with a rather large Hitachi gifted years ago from Balsa, then hand plane and a long balsa sanding block with some 40 grit on it. Shaping then with a combination of the beast to do the general bevels, and then a lot of work with a David plane. I love that plane on balsa! Sanded it down to 220 - I am always wary of going further because I want some traction for the lamination.

Shape is pretty classic - almost flat bottom with a slight belly to a slight increase in belly in the tail area. This is the way the original Quigg is shaped, which suprised me as I expected a bit more belly throughout. Should be more functional for the way I surf so stoked. Rails are an full eggy 50/50 that drops a bit through the middle. Again, in the SHACC collection of period balsas, you see a bit of everything - full, slightly pinched, eggy, 50/50, 60/40… almost flat bottoms, rolly polly bottoms, on this one I just kept close to the Quigg.

I chose not to do a filler coat on this one, which I usually did in the past. Instead I glassed on a dropping temperature later in the day, so that the resin would be sucked in rather than having the blank exhale as it heated. It was a bit cold for epoxy, so the drying times were slow… really slow. That being said, there’s nary a bubble in the lam - you really have to look hard to find a bubble or two of the tiny variety. Probably the most bubble-free wood lamination I’ve ever done. Oh yeah, and I dropped my usual squeegie for a roller on the lam. Kind of a heritic move, but it worked well! Hotcoat and gloss were squeegied on and then brushed with a 4 inch brush.

Single bottom, double deck. Epoxy hotcoat. Sanded that out to 220 and then roughed it back a bit with long passes of 180 for adherance.

Gloss, as I said, was simply standard epoxy with a bit of alcohol. Originally I planned to leave it unpolished, but there were a few too many dust tits so… sanded as described above.

What else? The logo is a brass plaque that I inlaid. Something that struck me one day and I went with the idea. Could have been cleaner but had a slight slip of the hand on the right-hand side. The fin is different - originally I wanted to use a piece of a local shipwreck from the beginning of the last century, but it was a bit short. And I didn’t have anything else interesting in the thickness I wanted. So I shaped a balsa fin, and then bookmatched a piece of mahagony and laminated it. Sort of a T-band fin. Glassed the fin with what I think is a leftover of 4oz volan - it shows a bit of the weave and I liked the look of it on a vintage style board. Bead is epoxy with just a bit of milled fiberglass in it for strength.

Let me know if you’d like any other info.

Nice. 

That’s a great description of the build process.

Thank you.

Beautiful!