A couple quick questions regarding planing techniques

Hey guys,

Two quick questions for you regarding planing techniques.

1. what is the best way to cut in smooth, rolled entry rocker? a friend of mine gave me a blank that he butchered a bit and i need to cut in a rolled entry rocker. how should i go about doing this?

1. I’m about to start my second mini-simmons and would like to dome the deck like so (bottom right). how would i go about achieving this?

here’s my last simmons before glass, with big blended rails but a basically flat deck

regarding the deck doming, i feel like i basically would cut bands a la this?

Rolled entry rocker, plan following the outline, more cuts at the rails, less in the center.

Rolled dome deck.  Plane along the rails, more cuts there than near the stringer.

Cut your cuts.  Some shapers tend to naturally cut more one way, so take that into account.  Always LOOK at what you just cut.

Hey, that picture looks familiar! That picture shows how I dome the deck, but I do it with a hotwire, not a planer. But I would imagine the process would be much the same.

Fark Paulr those lines are on the piss??!! what was the idea of having them woble out and in like that??

Haha! They look worse than they are…I calculate the points on the lines every 150mm and just join then up with straight lines. But when I cut with the hotwire, I smooth them out. As for wobling in and out, I know it looks wrong, but it really is right! The important detail is that their position is based on the deck rocker and the rail thickness. For example, look how the lines splay out towards the tail. That is because the tail rolls down, like in the below image.

[img_assist|nid=1065969|title=Mini-simmons rocker|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=55]

On a tail that curves up, like a standard shortboard, the lines instead tend to follow the rail lines and bend in. As for the wobble in the middle of the deck, that occurs because the deck is a bit more rolled towards the middle length of the board (ie at it’s thickest point), so that the rail thickness remains consistent. Believe me, when I saw the wobble, I checked all my calculations and measurements, but they were right, so I trusted the lines. Once it was cut and blended, it came out fine!

[img_assist|nid=1065800|title=Blending the deck bands with a hand sanding pad|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

If you haven’t seen it already, check out my build thread for a bit more info: http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/fin-placement-single-fin-mini-now-build-thread

(Sorry OhHerrooo for hijacking your thread!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwLxZV_oVg&feature=related from 28 seconds is how i based my roll on, I found it quite simple, lower you planer to your lowest depth on the rail and keep raising it up as you move closer to the centre, leaving a ridge in the middle of the board. Not sure if this is the right way but it worked out well for me. 

hey no worries! zac, are you referring to the deck dome with your technique?

i was refering to the bottom roll for your rolled entry rocker… not to sure about the rolled deck, 

Zac